Angus cases called at the Sheriff Court

A round-up of cases from throughout Angus that were up at Forfar Sheriff Court last week.

Accused of neglect

A St Cyrus woman has been accused of causing unnecessary suffering to a pony and failing to provide it with a suitable living environment.

Donna Parley, 29, Croft Place has denied the two charges against her under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act.

Parley is charged with causing a pony unnecessary suffering by failing to provide it with adequate food and clean water and appropriate care and treatment at Jackson Farm, St Cyrus between January 27 and February 14.

She is further charged with failing to provide a suitable environment as the pony was kept in a horse box and the area on which it had been lying was covered in wet excrement.

The charge states that the pony’s coat was dirty and matted, it suffered from lice and had a gastrointestinal condition whereby it became listless and emaciated.

Parley is accused of failing to provide a suitable diet and failing to protect the pony from suffering with timeous and appropriate care treatment, including veterinary treatment.

Parley did not appear in court in person and defence agent Lynne Sturrock submitted not guilty pleas on her behalf.

Trial was set for October 13.

Teen admits motorbike offence

A Forfar teenager was fined at the town’s sheriff court after he admitted driving a motorcycle without insurance or a licence.

Shaun Grant, 16, Callander Drive was also given six penalty points by Sheriff Gregor Murray for the offence which took place on the Lour to Whigstreet road by Forfar on May 1.

Defence agent Billy Rennie told the court that Grant and a friend had been working on the bike at a garage in Forfar and stupidly decided to take it for a trial run on the road.

Depute fiscal Hazel Anderson said the offence came to light when a member of the public contacted the police to tell them that underage boys were riding a motorbike irresponsibly.

Counterfeit notes land Forfar man in trouble

A Forfar man who attempted to spend counterfeit £20 notes in shops throughout Angus escaped a jail sentence when he appeared at Forfar Sheriff Court.

Sheriff Gregor Murray told Ross Brown, 27, of Lordburn Place that he had narrowly escaped a custodial sentence for the offences which he previously admitted.

“I would be entitled to put you in custody for 12 months for each complaint. However, I am persuaded that there is an alternative to custody in the form of a community payback order,” said the sheriff.

“I sentence you to 240 hours of unpaid work, which is reduced from 300 hours as a result of your early plea. This has to be completed within a year. There will be a review in three months to see that you are doing each and every work party you have been asked to go on.

“If not your feet won’t touch the ground,” Sheriff Murray added.

The court heard that Brown had previously admitted passing the counterfeit Clydesdale bank notes on three occasions in January and March last year at Costcutter, Arbroath, Scotmid, Brechin and the Co-op in Arbroath. It further heard that while court action was on-going Brown committed a similar offence in Alloa which he later admitted at Alloa Sheriff Court.

Defence agent Brian Bell said his client appeared to have turned the corner and was trying to disassociate himself from negative influences.

Speeding driver banned

A young oil worker who drove through Angus at almost 130 miles an hour was banned from driving for one year and fined £700 at Forfar Sheriff Court.

Sheriff Gregor Murray told Calum Keith, 23, an electrical technician that the offence was ‘as bad as it gets’.

He added that he could have fined him £1000 but had reduced the sum because of the early plea.

Keith, of Old Rayne in Aberdeenshire, admitted that on February 22 he drove his Audi A5 on the A90 Dundee to Aberdeen dual-carriageway in excess of the 70mph speed limit at 129mph.

The court heard from depute fiscal Hazel Anderson that the speed had been recorded by a speed camera at 5.19am.

Agent for Keith, Brian Bell told the court that his client had dropped a friend off at Edinburgh Airport and was travelling home in the early hours and the road was empty.

“The reason for his actions can only be described as stupidity,” said Mr Bell.

Second chance for Montrose woman

A Montrose woman was given a second chance at Forfar Sheriff Court after she admitted entering three properties in the town and stealing goods or intending to steal.

Beverly Ann Watt, 34, Mount Avenue appeared before Sheriff Gregor Murray who told her he was going to defer sentence for one month to see how she got on.

Watt previously admitted that between March 11 and 14 this year she entered an insecure property in Queen Street, Montrose, occupied by a 77-year-old woman and stole her purse, £60 and a quantity of cards. She also previously admitted that on two other occasions in the town she entered properties with the intent to steal.

Depute fiscal, Hazel Anderson told the court that a 29-year-old woman who lives in Orange Lane called the police after she confronted Watt in her home. When the police traced Watt she was found to be under the influence of drugs and in possession of the property belonging to the elderly woman.

Mrs Anderson said that Watt appeared at Arbroath Sheriff Court on petiiton on March 17 and was granted bail. That night she again attempted to enter a property in the town’s Bent Road and again was confronted by the occupier.

Watt also previously admitted that at Tesco on July 10 she stole a quantity of make-up while on bail.

Sheriff Murray told Watt that if she did not fully co-operate the case would be called before him again and she would be looking at six months.