Carnoustie crash driver faces jail

editorial image

A driver who hit 145mph and got his car airborne before causing a high-speed crash faces jail after his trial on Friday, January 29.

Eoin Duncan’s high performance Honda Civic Type R was packed with young friends - more than he had seatbelts for - when he lost control on a bend and careered into a tree.

Witnesses said he had got “air time” after going over a rise - at which experts said he would have to be driving at 110mph to become airborne.

One 15-year-old was thrown from the rear of the powerful motor - capable of 0 to 60mph in under 6.5 seconds - and suffered horrific injuries.

A trial at Forfar Sheriff Court heard Duncan had been on an hour-long thrash around roads in rural Angus, including the A92 between Carnoustie and Ethiebeaton and on back roads north of the Carnoustie, where the crash occurred.

Duncan had denied the allegation of dangerous driving over the March 2014 incident. But a jury took less than half an hour to find him guilty.

A sheriff warned him: “You should be under no illusion that a custodial sentence is a possibility.”

A trial heard evidence from one passenger that the car reached its top speed of 145mph on a dual carriageway. Duncan himself told a witness in the wake of the smash that he had been driving up to 100mph and had “lost it”.

At the police station following the crash he said he had been “accelarating just about foot to the floor” in a car that the court heard described as his “pride and joy”.

Two of the occupants of the car suffered injuries including a broken arm, fractured sinus, face head and lung contusions and a scalp wound. Fiscal depute Joanne Smith, summing up the case to jurors, said: “When he lost control of the car he didn’t just make a mistake, he wasn’t just caught out - it was entirely due to the manner of his driving.

“He was carrying more passengers than he had seatbelts. That was a risk he deliberately ignored. He makes his car airborne with his foot to the floor and he then crashes the car. It was a high impact crash.

“What we get is a clear impression of not a careful, measured driver but a car being driven at dangerously excessive speed.”

Duncan, 22, of Caesar Avenue, Carnoustie, had denied driving dangerously but was convicted by a jury. Sheriff Gregor Murray deferred sentence until March for social work background reports and released Duncan on bail meantime.

He was banned from the road with immediate effect.

Sheriff Murray said: “The jury have found you guilty of what I regard as a very serious charge on what I regard as overwhelming evidence against you.

“You should be under no illusion that a custodial sentence is a possibility.”