Council considering statue options

0
Have your say

OPTIONS to try to safeguard a Montrose statue from vandalism are in hand, Montrose community councillors have been told.

At their meeting last Thursday, members were told that Angus Council is considering options regarding the Marquis of Montrose statue in Castle Place, although a decision has yet to be made.

The issue was raised by member Sandy Munro who asked elected members for an update.

Unveiled in August, 2000, by the Duke of Montrose, the bronze statue was funded by the now defunct Marquis of Montrose Society, a committee of local volunteers who raised £30,000 for the project.

Its troubles began just a few hours after the unveiling, when the sword’s scabbard was snapped off. Since then its spurs have been removed several times and its left hand knocked off. Repair bills were met by Angus Council as the authority had taken on responsibility for maintenance. The latest attack has resulted in the loss of its sword blade.

Councillor Paul Valentine said the issue has been raised with council officers who are considering how it should be tackled.

He said: “We’re considering options at the moment and we’ll see what we can do to discourage vandalism, but we’re waiting for those options to come forward.”

Councillor David May said the height of the plinth is a problem which makes the statue “easier to vandalise” and said a higher platform could be the answer.