Death at Tarfside cottage to be investigated


Police and the Health and Safety Executive are investigating the death of a teenager who died after a suspected gas leak at a holiday cottage in Angus.

The 18-year-old man, who has not been named by police, died at the property at Tarfside last month.

Now police and the HSE have launched an investigation into his death.

His family are being kept up to date with the investigation by the Crown Office.

It is understood he had been staying at the cottage in a remote area of northern Angus when the tragedy occurred.

A spokeswoman for Police Scotland’s Tayside Division confirmed an investigation had been launched.

She said: “Police Scotland, working with the Health and Safety Executive, are investigating the death of an 18 year-old man at Tarfside on Wednesday, October 28.

“A report in relation to the death has been submitted to the Procurator Fiscal.”

A spokeswoman for the Health and Safety Executive said: “HSE is aware of the incident and is working with the police and making initial enquiries.

“The Procurator Fiscal has received a report in connection with the death of a 18-year-old man in Tarfside on October 28, 2015.

A spokesman for the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service said: “A joint investigation into the death by Police Scotland and The Health and Safety Executive, under the direction of the Crown’s Health and Safety Division is ongoing.

“The family will be kept updated in relation to any significant developments.”