GEORGE and Nancy Burnett, 9 Coronation Way, celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary recently.
The couple were married at Cafe Moderne, Arbroath, on February 7, 1951, by the Rev. Matthew McPhail, Arbirlot. They met at a dance at Guthrie.
Nancy, nee Rae, was born in Largo, Fife, but the family moved to Carmyllie when she was aged three.
She attended Carmyllie School, then went to work as an undermaid at Pitmuies House. Later she worked at a laundry in Hayswell Road, Arbroath; House of Dun, and then for 30 years at Borrowfield Community Centre.
Her hobbies have included knitting, jigsaws and crosswords.
George was born at Guthrie where his father was blacksmith. After leaving Guthrie School he spent three-and-a-half years in the Royal Navy and was on Russian Convoys, as well as in the Far East.
He joined British Railways at Guthrie Station as a porter, and retired from Montrose Station where he was a signalman.
He was for nine years president of Montrose Pensioners’ Club. There are two children: Ian, in Huntly; and Mrs Gillian Young, Montrose; and two grandchildren, Scott and Steven.
The couple were visited by Depute Lieutenant of Angus, Mrs Robina Addison; and Montrose Councillors Bill Duff, David May and Paul Valentine, who was representing the Provost.