More than 300 people turned to out the Dorward House gala at the weekend to mark the care home’s 175th anniversary.
The event on Saturday “exceeded all expectations” according to the facility’s board and raised £2,000 for the residential home on Dorward Road.
Hester Howie, chairperson of trustees on behalf of the board members, said: “The support of the local and extended community was exceptional with about three to four hundred people enjoying the afternoon’s festivities in ever improving weather conditions.
“The charming tea room was greatly enjoyed and the hamburger stall was very busy all afternoon.
“The contribution to the cake and candy stall by staff, families and friends was overwhelming, as were the contributions to the tombola and the grand raffle, which also included fantastic prizes from some local businesses and Dorward House suppliers.
“The knitted products were in great demand and the information booths on Dorward House and the Montrose Day Care Centre were of interest to many.
“Superb entertainment, compered by Joe Wishart, was provided during the afternoon by the Town Band, Gordon School of Dancing, local entertainers, Kim, Chloe and Kirsty and our local magician, Ryan, and was appreciated by residents and visitors alike.
“The children and adults had lots of fun with the games and the face painting and especially the close contact with the Therapets.
“Although the focus of the day was to welcome the public their generosity has contributed more than £2,000 to our funds.
“The board members wish to express their appreciation to Scouts, local churches and Round Table for their support and to all who contributed in any way to this event, which keeps Dorward House very much part of the local community. Thank you to all.”
On June 18, 1838, the foundation stone of Dorward House was laid.
William Dorward, a local businessman, wrote to the Town Council in February 1838, offering to build a “House of Refuge” for the poor and destitute men, women and children of Montrose and Ferryden with a donation of £10,000.
The house was completed in June 1839 to provide accommodation for 100 residents.
The board of 24 trustees appointed by Mr Dorward had been charged to ensure the house was built within one year at a cost of no more than £2,000. It is understood they under spent by 2/9d (14p).
The first residents were admitted to Dorward House on July 1, 1839 and there were 20 orphans and a few aged adults admitted from the Pauper’s Roll of Montrose District Council. The sum of £468.13d was agreed for the care of 70 residents for one year.
Over the years there have been many improvements to Dorward House and today, it is a residential home for 40 residents who all have rooms with en-suite facilities.
For more information please visit the Dorward House website www.dorwardhouse.com.