Ferryden suffers overnight flooding

ANYONE looking out their window for the first time this morning (Sunday) at 10 a.m. might have wondered what all the fuss was about over the weather.

Unless you lived in Ferryden, that is, because there, yet again, the main road through the village had been closed by Police because of serious flooding, in at least two places.

The Review reporter met Councillor David May who paying a second visit to the village that morning, assessing the situation.

He said that he had called out the Angus Council emergency roads crew, in an effort to get the road passable.

Mr May added that there is a further complication in Ferryden with a new electricity substation, and he had asked for sandbags to be put in place to protect it.

Roads department personnel who were on days off are being contacted to see if that can assist.

While the Review reported was in Ferryden one 4x4 made its way, successfully and spectacularly, through the flood, and a gentleman on a bike, coming in to the village from Montrose, cycled along the pavement where the water was a little less deep.

Mr May said that the height of the tide was also an issue, and he hoped that when the tide ebbed the water-level would reduce.

There were also some problems in Hillside this morning, but not on the scale of those at Ferryden.

MOntrose itself appeared to have escaped relatively lightly, and it seems that work done earlier this year to combat flooding has had considerable effect.

Certainly on Rossie Brae, although there was a flow of water, it did not appear to have entered neighbouring properties.

The roads to and from Montrose were of mixed quality.

The A92 Montrose to Arbroath was passable, with care to be taken in places where water had ponded. At the Arbikie road end there was a considerable amount of mud and stones. Speed had to be cut to a crawl to negotiate this safely.

The Montrose to Forfar road, at least as far as Kinnell Crossroads on the Friockheim to Brechin road, was not good.

The driver of a 49-seat coach, who negotiated the road at about 6.30 a.m., said there were numerous places where rushing water, combined with mud and stones from fields, made driving very hazardous indeed. At one point he felt the vehicle give a slight lurch to the left, as if the water was trying to wash it off the road.