Fire at St Cyrus Village Hall

Three fire engines were called to a fire at St Cyrus Village Hall
Three fire engines were called to a fire at St Cyrus Village Hall

Firefighters were called to St Cyrus Village Hall this morning (Wednesday November 13) to put out a fire in the men’s toilets.

Three Scottish Fire and Rescue engines, two from Montrose and one from Laurencekirk, were called out at around 9.20 a.m. after reports of smoke coming out of the facilities.

Volunteers Frances and Doug Moir opened the hall this morning to set up for the friendship group meeting at 10 a.m. Mrs Moir said: “I heard crackling and opened the gent’s toilet door and smoke came out, so I called the fire service.”

She added: “I’m just glad no one was in the hall.”

Fire station manager Colin Laing said: “It was a small fire which was well contained and took 15 minutes to put out. There is a small amount of damage to the ceiling and some smoke damage.

“It doesn’t look suspicious but investigations will be ongoing. Thankfully we got to it before it escalated.”