‘Foolish’ motorist who sped through Montrose banned from driving

editorial image

A “foolish” drink-driver who sped through Montrose and crashed his high performance car has been banned from driving for two years.

Forfar Sheriff Court heard police officers followed Stewart Muir, of Heron Bank in Montrose, as he was driving well in excess of speed limits on North Esk Road, Coronation Avenue, Marykirk Road and Kinnaber Road.

Depute Fiscal Kirsten Thomson told the court Muir, who was driving an Audi RS4 Quattro, was speeding down Kinnaber Road when the 26-year-old’s car left the road and crashed through a fence into a field.

Police officers had to help the accused out of his vehicle before breathalysing him where he was found to be almost four times over the drink-drive limit.

The Depute Fiscal said the incident occurred at around 2am on February 15 when there were no pedestrians around and police officers on mobile patrol on North Esk Road followed Muir after seeing the car travelling at a high speed, which at one point went “airborne”.

She said: “It was below freezing and the road conditions were slippy.

“Police officers followed and increased their speed to close the gap, however the vehicle was lost to sight.

“They later saw the accused turn right onto Kinnaber Road. The road was covered in frost, which meant grip was reduced.”

She said Muir crashed his car just after a blind bend on Kinnaber Road, with the vehicle going through a fence before stopping in a field.

The Depute Fiscal continued: “He said he had been drinking and officers could smell alcohol on his breath, so carried out the breathalyser test.

“The accused was taken to the police station where he was breathalysed at a level of 81 micrograms in 100 millilitres of breath.”

The limit in Scotland is 22 micrograms per 100 millilitres of breath.

Muir was represented by solicitor Nick Markowski, who told the court this was a first-time offence for the accused, who works engineer in Montrose.

Mr Markowski said: “This seems to be out of character for him.

“He moved to Angus about a year-and-a-half ago, originally from Irvine, he found himself socially isolated.

“What appears to have happened is when he is home on his own he has been drinking.

“He understands absolutely that this is a serious matter.

“He can’t give any excuse other than he was under the influence of alcohol.”

Mr Markowski added Muir “understood fully” he was lucky that no one, including himself, was hurt.

Sheriff Robert Vaughan told the accused he was “extremely foolish” and banned him from driving for 24 months, which could be reduced by six months if he completes a drink-driving rehabilitation course, as well as fining him £1000 to be paid back in £200 monthly instalments.