HOW DID the Montrose of 150 years ago differ from the town as we know it today?
As far as the street and buildings lay-out goes you will soon be able to see for yourself, with the publication of the Ordnance Survey map of 1861 by Heritage Cartography.
Publisher Peter Adams is a man with great enthusiasm for his subject, and his comments about the map, as an outsider, are of interest.
Mr Adams said: “Montrose in 1861 is seen as a small harbour and market town which has benefited from the industrial revolution since the coming of the railway which can bring goods directly to the new wet dock and wharfs
“It is no longer isolated on its cul-de-sac peninsula since the construction of the modern suspension bridge to the south.
“The old mediaeval town can still be clearly made out east and west of the High Street with rows of dwellings backed by their individual burgage strips. Industry is much in evidence with two large flax mills, several shipbuilding yards, a foundry, a brewery [on the site of the former distillery] and a manure works.
“To the town’s credit a trades school is seen in the town centre as well as a Royal Infirmary, public baths and a House of Refuge.”
Also on the map are the extensive Panmure Barracks, curling ponds, Broomfield Railway Station and the Montrose and Bervie Railway with its station at the harbour. There was no line south at that point, and the main line north went through Friockheim and Bridge of Dun.
The map costs £9.50 uncoloured, or £25 coloured. It can be obtained from Hogg, newsagent, High Street.