Jail for man who assaulted his girlfriend

Dundee Sheriff Court
Dundee Sheriff Court

A man who battered his girlfriend - “endangering her life” by strangling her, then breaking her arm - after a bizarre row about Hitler was today (Friday) jailed for three years.

Connor McGregor “viciously” attacked his girlfriend in Arbroath’s Wardmill Road following a row about the German dictator.

The pair left a bar in the Angus town and were walking when the debate turned violent.

McGregor chased after her and repeatedly pushed her, causing her to fall.

He then pushed the woman against metal railings on a bridge and grabbed her by the throat.

Dundee Sheriff Court was told McGregor then grabbed her by the throat and strangled her until she couldn’t breathe and began to lose consciousness.

She was then thrown to the ground and was later found to have a broken arm.

At some point during the struggle two men walked past - with the victim shouting out: “If you don’t help me and take me to safety then I’ll be dead.”

Shockingly, the pair simply walked on leaving her in the hands of the violent thug.

During the attack the woman called another man who heard her screaming and shouting “he’s hitting me”.

Following his conviction, a jury were told McGregor had two previous convictions for assaulting and behaving in a threatening and abusive manner towards Miss Lawson.

Fiscal depute Eilidh Robertson told the jury: “Why did she scream at those two men who passed her ‘if you don’t help me and take me to safety then I’ll be dead’?

“The answer is plain and simple - she had just been viciously assaulted by her partner, Connor McGregor.

“Assaulted to the extent that he placed his hand over her throat and made her feel ‘woozy’.

“An assault that endangered her life.”

McGregor (21), a prisoner at HMP Perth, denied a charge of assault to severe injury and danger of life.

However, a jury found him guilty following a two-day trial.

Defence solicitor Nick Wheelan said: “He is aware a custodial sentence will be imposed.”

Sheriff Tom Hughes jailed McGregor for three years and imposed a one year supervised release order meaning he will be monitored in the community on his release.

He said: “This matter went to trial before a jury and they convicted you of a very serious charge.

“I’ve read the terms of the background report and a custodial sentence is inevitable.

“You have a bad record of previous convictions and this is a very serious matter which took place while you were on bail.”