Johnshaven beat Halliburton in final midweek game

Johnshaven Athletic 3

Halliburton 1

Johnshaven played host to this Aberdeen side in the last of the midweek fixtures for this year last Wednesday (August 21) for their sixth game in 18 days. Manager Pete Williams said he thought this was the team’s best performance so far.

In the opening minute, some good play by Johnshaven saw the ball worked up the park to Milne who crossed to Scott Beedie, who in an aerial battle between him and a Halliburton defender was beaten and put the ball out. The resulting corner by R. Tringham was played to the back post and Scott Beedie’s header was cleared off the Halliburton goal line.

Bruce took the ball up the right, hitting a low cross into the 18 yard box where Scott Beedie slid in, but just missed connecting with the ball and it went out for a goal kick.

10 minutes in, Slavin crossed to Scott Beedie who pushed the ball back to R. Blease whose 25 yard shot went just past the post.

Halliburton’s first attack came in the 20th minute, when they went down the right wing before putting in a low cross, which keeper Findlater saved with a dive.

In the 25th minute, Slavin beat the off side trap to run on with ball, the Halliburton keeper came out and Slavin unselfishly pushed the ball out to Kevin Bruce to score his first goal for Johnshaven and put them in the lead 1-0.

In the 31st minute R. Blease crossed along ball to Slavin who picked out Robert Milne whose shot increased the lead to 2-0.

A Johnshaven indirect free kick from R. Tringham picked out Johnston on the edge of the 18yd box but his header unfortunately went straight to the Halliburton keeper.

Half Time Score: Johnhaven 2, Halliburton 0

The opening shot of the second half came from Smith but it was parried away by the Halliburton keeper. Just after this, Trialist replaced Robert Tringham.

In the 56th minute, a Johnshaven corner by Milne went to Steven Scott who ran in and headed home increasing the lead to 3-0.

Johnshaven pressed for another goal when an angled shot from Slavin was parried and the rebound fell to Milne whose shot was blocked but the resulting corner came to nothing.

10 minutes later, a Halliburton direct free kick was played into the 18 yard box where they were gifted a goal when a Johnshaven defender tried to clear, but instead headed the ball into his own net to make the score 3 - 1.

Next, R. Blease had an angled shot pushed clear by the diving Halliburton keeper.

Halliburton had 2 corners in quick succession, the first was pushed away and the second was headed past the post.

In the 80th minute, Milne won the ball then played it out to Trialist who turned his man then fired a shot but it went straight to the Halliburton keeper.

A couple of minutes later, a 25 yard low shot from Smith for was saved by the keeper. Further shots from Milne and R. Blease also failed to find the back of the net.

Team: Kieran Findlater, Kevin Bruce, Lawrence Slavin, Steven Scott, Mark Johnston, Jack Dalgarno, Robert Tringham (Trialist), Ross Blease, Robert Milne, Scott Beedie & Steven Smith, subs: Stuart Beedie & Stephen Stephen. Man of the Match was Steven Scott.