Scottish Water is encouraging customers to ensure homes and businesses across Scotland are prepared for winter.
For the fourth year, STV weather forecaster, Sean Batty is supporting the utility’s winter campaign.
Sean said: “Last year many Scots were preparing for another cold winter after the extreme conditions of the previous two, however, in the end it turned out to be much milder but stormy. This highlights how volatile our weather can be and how we need to be prepared in advance for whatever it throws in our direction - and to ensure that we heat, insulate and protect our homes and businesses”
Customers should follow Scottish Water’s winter code:
• Heat, insulate and protect your pipes.
• Leave your heating on at a low setting.
• If you are going away then make sure you have someone who can regularly check for any problems.
• If your property is going to be vacant over the winter months, turn off your water supply and drain the system. A licensed plumber should be able to advise you about this.
• Keep your insurance documents secure and water-tight so you can access them easily if needed.
• Locate your stop valve.
• Keep a note of the telephone number of a licensed plumber.
• Keep a note of the Scottish Water Customer Helpline number – 0845 601 8855.
• Be a good neighbour and keep an eye out for your neighbours, especially the frail and elderly or disabled.
While homeowners represent the biggest target audience, the campaign also focuses on the need for businesses, landlords and holiday home owners to safeguard their properties.
Visit www.scottishwater.co.uk/winter where you can find winter information, films and advice.
Follow Scottish Water on twitter twitter.com/scottish_water and facebook www.facebook.com/scottishwater
Last year Scottish Water employees worked around the clock to maintain drinking water supply to 2.4 million household customers and protect the natural environment.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Montrose
Wednesday 22 May 2013
Temperature: 2 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 31 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 5 C to 8 C
Wind Speed: 41 mph
Wind direction: North