Staff at Montrose Sports Centre rushed to aid of a 49-year-old man who collapsed at the facility while he was playing basketball.
First-aid trained workers at the Angus Council owned sports facility on Marine Avenue attended to the man last Monday (April 7).
They used a defibrillator, which is a life-saving machine that gives the heart an electric shock in some cases of cardiac arrest, to revive him while they waited for paramedics to arrive.
It is claimed that it took 30 to 40 minutes before the ambulance arrived.
An Angus Council spokesperson said: “The council can confirm that a customer collapsed at Montrose Sports Centre.
“An ambulance was called and our staff, who are trained first-aiders, attended to the customer until the ambulance crew arrived.”
A spokesman for the Scottish Ambulance Service said: “At the time of the call all local ambulances were treating other patients.
“A First Responder was dispatched and arrived within 14 minutes, followed by an ambulance crew, which arrived 17 minutes later.
“The patient was transferred safely to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.”
The Montrose Review understands that the man is still in hospital.