Man who threatened to stab elderly man in Montrose jailed

Marine Avenue, where the attack took place.
Marine Avenue, where the attack took place.

A former NHS worker who shoved a man to the ground then threatened to stab him with a knife has been jailed for four-and-a-half years.

William McBain attacked 73-year-old Francis McGuigan, in Marine Avenue, Montrose, on May 8 this year.

The thug shoved Mr McGuigan to the ground then leaned over him and demanded his wallet before threatening to stab him with a knife he was carrying. McBain then told police officers: “I’m not a violent man.”

Dundee Sheriff Court heard McBain had worked for the NHS as a caterer until two years ago but at the time was jobless and living in his car.

Sheriff Alistair Brown told McBain: “Let it be clear - a person who attempts an armed robbery using or threatening to use a knife may expect a severe sentence.”

Fiscal depute Nicola Gillespie told the court that 53-year-old McBain had never been in trouble with the police in his life until the May 8 incident.

She said: “He was found in possession of a 10-inch knife shortly thereafter. He told police ‘I’m not a violent man.’

“He added ‘I demanded that man’s wallet and I shouldn’t have done it’.

Mr McGuigan was later traced and confirmed he had been the victim of the attack.

McBain, a prisoner at HMP Perth, pleaded guilty on indictment to charges of assault with intent to rob and possessing a knife.

Defence solicitor Lynne Sturrock said: “He’s well aware of the seriousness of this and that a custodial sentence is foremost in the court’s mind.

“Until about two years ago he worked for the health service and had no experience of custody whatsoever. His explanation is that he simply has no idea what made him do it.”

Sheriff Brown jailed McBain for four years and six months.

He said: “If you had been in any trouble before I would have considered my powers of sentence were not adequate and I would have sent you to the High Court.”

Sheriff Brown said the sentence would have been six years had it not been for McBain’s early guilty plea.