DCSIMG

Montrose house fire prompts safety warning

A stark safety warning has been issued about the dangers of leaving candles unattended after a tea light caused a house fire in Montrose.

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service have issued the warning after the candle was left unattended in an upstairs bedroom of a one and a half storey semi-detached house in Carnegie Street on Sunday night (July 13).

Firefighters were alerted to the blaze at around 9.08 p.m. and two crews from Montrose attended the house, which did not have a smoke alarm fitted.

The officers in breathing apparatus quickly located the fire on the first floor and used one to two hose reel jets to extinguish it.

They then used a thermal imaging camera to check for signs if the fire had spread.

There was smoke damage to the property but no one was injured as a result of the fire.

Watch manager Mike Cassie said: “This fire was caused by a tea light which had been left unattended for a short period of time in an upstairs bedroom. The incident highlights the fact that candles should never be left unattended.

“The property also did not have working smoke alarms fitted, which would have alerted the occupants to the presence of a fire much more quickly.

“We would encourage anyone who doesn’t have a smoke alarm to have one fitted immediately. Smoke alarms save lives. If you don’t have one then call Scottish Fire and Rescue Service and arrange a free Home Fire Safety Visit and we will provide you with a smoke alarm free of charge. It could save your life.

“I would also like to pay tribute to the crews who attended on Sunday night, many of whom are very young in service.

“The conditions inside the property were very challenging with a lot of thick smoke and intense heat. They did very well to contain the fire to the bedroom and prevent further fire spread.

“There was smoke damage within the property but the fire damaged was limited to the bedroom. Had it not been for their quick response the outcome could have been a lot more serious.”

To arrange a free Home Fire Safety Visit you can telephone 0800 0731 999, text “Check” to 61611 from your mobile phone or visit www.firescotland.gov.uk.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page