Tribute to Upper Dysart

editorial image

Although it formed at Farnborough in May, 1912, No. 2 Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps became the first flying unit to operate from Montrose with its B.E.2 aircraft, arriving at Upper Dysart in February, 1913, then moving to Broomfield in January, 1914, before flying to France later that year becoming the first RFC squadron to operate there during the First World War.

Now based at RAF Marham in Norfolk and flying the Tornado GR.4, this specially marked example is seen arriving at Leuchars on September 14 for the Airshow next day and carries special markings to celebrate the squadron’s centenary, including the B.E.2 as flown at Montrose which is painted on the tail.

Picture - Des Brennan