A spate of wheelie bins being set on fire on Montrose High Street has been called a “rare incident” by Scottish Fire and Rescue.
A wheelie bin was set alight at an address on the High Street at about 6.55pm on Monday, February 22.
Earlier that evening, a mattress was also found on fire in a brick shed at a yard in Castle Street.
The next night on Tuesday, February 23 at another address on the High Street, two further wheelie bins were found blazing at about 7.05pm.
Stuart Cuthill, station manager for Angus East, said he believed the three incidents were connected.
The station manager said wheelie bins were “something people can get their hands on” easily, and encouraged the public to keep them out of sight.
He said: “This is a rare incident for Montrose.
“It often happens in Dundee but not in this area.
“We urge residents and businesses to keep their bins off the streets.
“We advise the public to keep their bins behind locked gates.
“If they don’t have a gate then keep them round the back, put them out when they have to be collected and then take them back in.
“Also, keep them away from external windows and doors, so if there is a fire it can’t spread into the house.”
Police Scotland are appealing for information about the three incidents. Anyone who has information should call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.