UPDATED: Officer admits dangerous driving in Arbroath

editorial image

A police officer awaits sentencing after admitting to dangerous driving in Arbroath which resulted in a crash.

Today (Tuesday) PC Jennifer Jones admitted to a charge of dangerous driving at Forfar Sheriff Court.

The court heard how Jones’s colleague, PC Charles Demore, had been called by his wife because their six-week-old baby had fallen ill at their home in Dundee.

PC Jones drove PC Demore back to their station in Arbroath to drop off his kit and allow him to speak to his sergeant before going off-duty to attend to the family emergency.

He then got back in the marked car and they left the station to head to Monifieth, where PC Demore had parked his own car.

PC Jones switched on the car’s blue lights and ran a red light just 500 yards from the station.

At that point Susan Clark, 45, was turning out of the Brothock Bridge junction and went straight into PC Jones’ path.

The collision saw Ms Clark’s Kia C’eed written off and the police Ford Focus sustain £8500 worth of damage.

Fiscal depute Robbie Brown told the court: “Ms Clark had her 15-year-old daughter in the car with her.

“The front of the complainer’s vehicle collided with the front near side wheel area of the police car.

“The police vehicle was shunted into the central reservation and collided with a bollard.

“The accused sustained an injury and was taken to Ninewells but discharged without treatment.

“The police vehicle sustained £8500 damage, while the Kia C’eed sustained £5000 damage and was written off.”

Jones, 28, whose addresses was given as care of the Police Service of Scotland, pleaded guilty on summary complaint to a charge of dangerous driving committed on November 24, 2014.

A special reasons proof hearing is to be held as Miss Jones bids to keep her driving licence after the case.

The first witness in that hearing, PC Demore, gave evidence today (Tuesday).

He said: “I felt like we were going above 30mph - from my experience of driving that road it felt we were in excess of that.

“I was concerned when we approached the light but assumed PC Jones was aware of the situation.

“I had been called by my wife and was aware she had been on the phone to NHS 24 about our child, who was screaming in the background and had been for some time.

“I was going to assist when the crash occurred.

“After the collision I was taken by a colleague in another car back to my car, and they also had the blue lights on.

“I asked them to put them off as I’d already been in one incident that day and didn’t want another.”

Sheriff Gregor Murray deferred sentence until the next hearing in the case in August.

It is understood that PC Jones has not been suspended from duty as a result of the crash.

A spokeswoman for Police Scotland’s Tayside Division said: “Police Scotland acknowledge the outcome of the case and await the determination of the Sheriff.

“The matter will be referred to the Deputy Chief Constable for consideration.”