Welfare wins for Marykirk and Golf Inn

THERE were goals galore in the Welfare League this weekend with wins from Marykirk and the Golf Inn with four counters apiece.

Marykirk’s opponents, City Royal, fought back hard and managed a respectable three goals in a closely fought match while MCT pulled back two in their game against Golf Inn.

Marykirk 4, City Royal 3

City Royal had the first shot of the game with a Craig Stewart effort that went just wide from 25 yards. Their first real chance came just before the 15-minute mark when a cross from Fearn was netted by Shanks to give the visitors the opening goal.

Fearn tried again moments later but his shot from a King cross went wide.

In 20 minutes a Leslie through pass to Paul McIntosh failed to find the net as it soared wide.

Five minutes later Marykirk equalised when Leslie scored with a diving header from a Davidson cross to bring the score to one all.

Moments later Marykirk’s Dalgetty found McIntosh with a free kick but his header hit the post and was cleared.

The half time score was 1-1.

At the hour mark Marykirk took the lead when a low McIntosh cross was parried out by the City Royal keeper to Leslie who knocked the ball into the roof of the net to make the score 2-1.

Twelve minutes later another Dalgetty free kick found McIntosh who headed the ball over the bar.

A minute later City Royal equalised when a Stewart free kick rebounded from the post to Bowie who netted from close range to bring the score to two all.

Marykirk took the lead again just a minute later when a through pass from Pirie found Paul McIntosh to bring the score to 3-2.

Another through pass from Leslie found Paul McIntosh in the 75th minute to bring the score to 4-2.

City Royal managed to grab a goal back when a Fearn shot across the goal found the far corner to make it 4-3.

Towards the end of the game City Royal did their best to bring the score level again and almost grabbed a late equaliser when a Stewart free kick was tipped over the bar by Marykirk ‘keeper Tanbini.

Golf Inn 4, MCT 2

The Golf Inn made it through to the Piggins Cup final to meet their old foes the Black Abbot.

Golf Inn started the game on the front foot and opened the scoring when Kevin Craig dispossessed the MCT ‘keeper Laidlaw and ran through to score.

They made it two when another ball went over the top and found Craig who raced clear to score. Further chances came for the hosts but they couldn’t add to their lead before the break.

The third came just after the interval when Jack Roger raced clear to score.

The visitors reduced the deficit when Chris Petrie fired home from the edge of the box.

Golf Inn secured victory when Chris Millar tapped home following more good work from Roger.

MCT got a late consolation to add some interest to the last few minutes.

The match ended with MCT’s Corin Gunnis being carried from the field following an awkward landing. Subsequent x-rays confirmed that he had broken his ankle.

Both sides wish him a speedy recovery and hope that he can walk down the aisle unaided in five weeks time.


The fixtures for Sunday, April 3, are as follows:

League - Fettercairn v Bervie, Springers v Marykirk, Hudsons v MCT. Piggins Final - Black Abbot v Golf Inn.

The first cup final of the season is now upon us and Black Abbot will take on Golf Inn in the Piggins Cup final at Broomfield Park with a 2pm kick-off.