Another fine victory for Merpro takes them back to the top

Merpro 2,

Dundee University 0

AFTER the excitement of last weekend’s Bremner Cup tie, Merpro were back on league business when they played host to Dundee University for the teams’ first encounter this season.

The home side maintained their good league run with an unspectacular yet solid performance and this victory moved them back to the top of Division One.

Merpro started the match on the offensive and Graham did well with a dribbling run along the by-line then firing in a six-yard shot which was saved by ‘keeper Fino in five minutes.

From the resultant corner kick the ball fell for Whitworth but he was unable to direct his left foot on target from 10 yards.

Merpro continued to dominate and Greig did well to direct a midfield header for Graham to run through unopposed on goal but he was again denied by Fino after eight minutes.

They came close again when Craig Allan floated in a free kick for Whitworth to head towards the goal, but Fino again did well to make a save.

Merpro continued to unsettle the University defence and Duff pressurised them into making a mistake. Graham laid off a pass for Craig Allan to curl a shot just past the post in 15 minutes but the initial pressure by the home side started to ease up.

With University starting to settle and play football the threat of Merpro started to wane.

Merpro had another opening when Duff headed wide from a Craig Allan corner kick in 35 minutes. Neither side created any further openings and the match reached half-time in stalemate.

University started the second half well and put some real pressure on the home rear-guard. Findlay did well to save from close range when a University cross found an attacker in the box who looked well offside in 53 minutes.

Merpro quickly responded when Gourlay picked up a pass in midfield sending in a cross for Craig Allan to acrobatically twist in mid air to send in a curling 16-yard header into the top corner of the net in 55 minutes to make it 1-0.

Both sides attempted to get some control of the match but were cancelling each other. Merpro finally created another opening when Craig Allan collected a Cruickshank pass and found space on the edge of the box to fire in a shot at goal which was well saved by the keeper in 70 minutes.

Merpro soon went further ahead when a Donaldson corner kick was met by Whitworth at the back post to head across goal for Cruickshank to react quicker to head into the net from six-yards to make it 2-0 after 75 minutes.

University pushed players forward in the voicing stages but a solid Merpro defence kept them at bay to record a clean sheet and another victory.

Team: Findlay, Gourlay, Duff, C. Allan, Whitworth, G. Allan, Cruikshank (Bruce), Greig, Duff (Gibbon), Graham, Houston (Donaldson). Substitute: Gray.

Match sponsor - Mr Motivator.