Black Abbot take Review Cup

Fordoun Galaxy and Black Abbot met on Friday night in the final fixture of the Montrose and District Welfare League season.

The weather had been great all week and it was another cracking night at Links Park where a decent crowd gathered to watch the Review Cup final.

The opening exchanges were cagey but it was Fordoun who had the first real effort of note when Hector fired a free kick over the bar in the 10th minute after McComiskie had been fouled on the edge of the box. Eight minutes later McComiskie fired an effort at goal which the Abbot ‘keeper held above his head.

With nearly 30 minutes played Clayton collected a short corner and then shot at goal only to see his effort hit the woodwork. Abbot’s next effort came in the 37th minute but it was a tame shot which Welsh held easily.

Five minutes before half-time Abbot took the lead in controversial circumstances. A long ball sent an Abbot attacker clear just inside the Galaxy half but the linesman flagged for offside. The referee chose to ignore the flag and FYVIE ran on to score. The referee consulted his linesman before awarding the goal which put Abbot in the driving seat.

The goal sparked the game into life and in the next minute McComiskie hit the bar with a shot from the corner of the box. In the next Galaxy attack Keddie was brought down in the box and a penalty was awarded. Hector stepped up but his spot kick came back off the inside of the post before being cleared.

Fordoun did equalise before half time when McCOMISKIE was forced wide by Clayton but struck a sweet shot from the corner of the box which went in off the bar. Galaxy nearly snatched the lead in the last minute of the half when a Hector cross found McComiskie who sent his effort past.

Half-time: Fordoun Galaxy 1, Black Abbot 1.

Seven minutes into the second half Abbot had an effort blocked before the rebound was fired over the bar. Play raged up the other end where Keddie closed down the Abbot keeper and the ball broke to Hector who couldn’t force it home.

In the 59th minute an Abbot attacker rounded Welsh in the Galaxy goal but Cruickshank got back to make a great goal line clearance.

Abbot went ahead again on the hour-mark when DUNCAN hit an effort from outside the box which went into the bottom corner.

In the 63rd minute Keddie shot into the ‘keeper’s hands as Galaxy tried to find a way back into the game. With eight minutes left Thomson headed a Hector free kick goalward but the ‘keeper held the effort. Another Hector free kick was then clawed away by the Abbot ‘keeper before a Keddie effort was saved.

With two minutes to play, A. Stirling sent a header past the post and in the final minute a Hector free kick evaded everyone and came back off the post. That was the last chance Fordoun could muster and Black Abbot survived to win the game and retain the trophy they won last year.

Fordoun: I. Welsh, Pirie (Tough), Cruickshank, Cuthill, A. Stirling, Hector, R. Welsh (Murray), Keddie, R. Stirling, Deans (Thomson), McComiskie. Unused: Pearson and Norrie.