Extra-time agony for Merpro in cup

Merpro welcomed Menzieshill to Broomfield on Saturday in a Bremner Cup quarter-final tie. With the cup final held at Tannadice, the prize for progression is highly sought after.

Merpro created the first opening with Christie breaking through but a heavy touch allowed the keeper to thwart him. The ball fell for Greig following up but much to his anguish he guided his 12-yard effort well over the invitingly open goal.

Menzieshill settled and were dangerous on the left flank, coming close with a side netting shot from Egan in 10 minutes.

The match settled into a fine midfield battle with both sides testing each other out but neither were able to fully establish any dominance.

Rausch almost broke the stranglehold with a super wide run into the box to fire across the face of the goal but no one was able to get a final touch.

Half-time: Merpro 0, Menzieshill 0.

Menzieshill started the second half stronger and Lownie did well to save from Egan in 48 minutes. The match continued to ebb and flow with both sides continuing to maintain a high level of intensity and skill.

Merpro again managed to set themselves an opening when Rausch made a dribbling run at the defence, with the ball falling for Bruce. With the keeper stranded he attempted to lob from 30 yards but his effort went just wide of the goal.

The match was on a knife edge but a fine move from their own defence involving Murdoch, Nicol Duff and Greig set up Riach but he fired his effort wildly over the bar from 16 yards in 85th minute.

Merpro were finishing stronger and had another good opening when Ferries cruised for Bruce but was unable to direct his header on target in the final minute.

Full-time: Merpro 0, Menzieshill 0.

Extra time began and immediately there was no let up, as both teams looked for the breakthrough.

Merpro broke the deadlock with a fine goal from the ever-dangerous Jordan Rausch. He collected a Milne through ball, dribbled past a couple of players and slipped a low shot under the advancing keeper into the net in 100 minutes for 1-0.

Continued on page 37.