Fantastic win in first game back at home

Johnshaven Athletic 6, Highland Hotel 1

JOHNSHAVEN made a triumphant return to their home ground of Wairds Park in their first home game since November 13 last year.

In the opening minutes a knock down by R. Blease found Scott Beedie but his shot trickled to the Highland ‘keeper.

Just after the 20-minute mark a Highland Hotel free kick found one of the players on the edge of the six-yard box from where he headed home to put them in the lead.

In the 38th minute Johnshaven were forced to make their first substitution when an injured Darren Brown came off. Jack Dalgarno moved to right-back and Jason Leven came on in midfield.

Minutes later, Dundas allowed the ball to go through to Scott Beedie who beat his man then crossed the ball to the edge of the six-yard box to Ross Blease whose first shot was blacked by the Highland ‘keeper. The ball rebounded to him and he his shot found the back of the net for the equaliser to make the score 1-1.

In the first minute of the second half a Johnshaven corner by Milne went to the back post where Ryan Ritchie headed it home squeezing it past the Highland player on the post into the net to put Johnshaven in the lead 2-1.

Johnshaven were forced to make their second substitution when Alexander Bruce replaced an injured Leon Dundas.

Not long after Johnshaven were forced to make their last substitution when an injured Ross Blease came off. Jack Dalgarno moved once more back into Midfield and Stephen Stephen came on at right-back.

In the 68th minute a long kick-out by Johnshaven’s keeper MacLean found Milne who passed to Leven whose shot was saved by the Highland ‘keeper.

At the other end MacLean made two fine saves to prevent Highland from a certain goal.

In the 73rd minute Bruce passed to Leven who played the ball into the 18-yard box from where Robert Milne beat the ‘keeper with a header at his near post to increase Johnshaven’s lead to 3-1.

Ten minutes later Scott Beedie passed up to Bruce who knocked it back to Grant Philip just out side the 18-yard box where he took one touch before firing it into the top left-hand corner to further increase Johnshaven’s lead to 4-1.

In the 85th minute Welsh battled to regain the ball before passing it up the left wing to Bruce who passed to Milne. He laid it off to Scott Beedie who hit an unstoppable shot past the diving Highland ‘keeper to make the score 5-1.

Not long after this Johnshaven were reduced to 10 when they had a player sent off.

A minute later a Highland Hotel shot was cleared off the line by Welsh.

In the 88th minute Scott Beedie put in Alexander Bruce who rode a tackle then went out wide and slotted it home for the final goal bringing the score to 6-1.