A 5-1 defeat for Mo as pre-season continues

Montrose 1, Dundee 5

Montrose continued their pre-season campaign tonight (Tuesday, July 9) with a 4-1 defeat to full-time club Dundee.

Despite the result there was some good play from Stuart Garden’s side with McKenzie making some strong saves in the first half.

But it was Dundee who started strongest and took the most opportunities from the outset.

In the seventh minute former Montrose loanee Martin Boyle linked up well with Jamie Reid only to see the ball go over the bar.

A minute later Dundee had another attempt but were blocked well by Montrose ‘keeper McKenzie.

Just after the 10 minute mark Reid was blocked by good work from the Montrose defence only for the ball to fall back to Boyle who then launched it just over the top of the bar.

A minute later McKenzie was quick again to stop another Dundee ball.

The visitors were awarded a penalty in the 20th minute after Ryan Conroy got caught up between Jonathan Crawford and a Montrose trialist. A Dundee trialist stepped up to take it and slotted the ball neatly past McKenzie.

Eight minutes later Matt Lockwood saw his shot blocked well by McKenzie.

Then just before the half hour mark Montrose had their first proper chance but the trialist send the ball skimming just over the bar.

Three minutes later Boyle sent the ball wide for Dundee but two minutes after that he made it 2-0 with a strong strike past McKenzie.

With less than five minutes to go Garry Wood’s header was blocked by good work from the travelling ‘keeper.

Half-time: Montrose 0, Dundee 1

Montrose boss Stuart Garden made two changes at half time with Scott Johnston and Ross McCord replacing Kieran Sturrock and a trialist respectively.

A few minutes later Jonathan Crawford was replaced by David Beedie.

Dundee had another chance 54 minutes in but the shot went well wide of the left post.

On the hour mark Garden made another three changes when Jamie Winter, Paul Watson and David Gray were replaced by Ryan Winter, Lloyd Young and a trialist.

Good work from Nicky Reily saw a Dundee trialist latch onto his cross and lash the ball into the net by McKenzie.

A minute later McKenzie was replaced by Sandy Wood a few minutes later Alan Campbell was replaced by a trialist.

But with 15 minutes to go Ricky McIntosh went down injured and with the home side having used up all of their subs they were down to 10 men.

With Dundee pushing on again substitute ‘keeper Wood was forced into making two good saves in quick succession.

Montrose pulled a goal back with 10 minutes to go when Garry Wood turned on the ball and sent the ball into the net from 25 yards out.

But Dundee increased the deficit to three again just moments later with a great goal from Craig Wigton.

With the visitors awards a penalty with just a couple of minutes to go Wood blocked the initial effort but it was slotted away after the rebound.

Montrose: Stuart McKenzie, Jonathan Crawford, Ricky McIntosh, Alan Campbell, trialist, Jamie Winter, David Gray, trialist, Kieran Sturrock, Garry Wood, Paul Watson. Subs: trialist, Scott Johnston, Lloyd Young, trialist, Ross McCord, David Beedie, Ryan Winter, Sandy Wood.

Dundee: trialist, Gray Irvine, Matt Lockwood, Declan Gallagher, Kyle Benedictus, Kevin McBride, Jamie Reid, Martin Boyle, trialist, Gavin Rae, Ryan Conroy. Subs: Jamie McAllister, Cameron Kerr, trialist, Craig Wigton, Peter McDonald, Iain Davidson, Nicky Riley, James Thomson, trialist, John Bonnar (GK).