A disappointing home draw for Montrose


Montrose Football Club did it the hard way as they grabbed a share of the points from behind against Clyde on Saturday at Links Park.

The Gable Endies played 83 minutes of the match with only 10 men after the sending off of Stephen McNally.

However, after finding their feet in the first period they did more than enough to win the match in the second against a poor Clyde side who apart from the penalty kick were restricted to very few shots on goal by the well marshalled Montrose defence.

After pulling a goal back through Scott Johnston, Montrose had more than enough chances to get the winner but in the end had to settle for one point, that takes them back up to third in the league table.

After the defeat at Annan Athletic manager Stuart Garden made two changes to this line up the unavailable Lloyd Young was replaced by David Gray while the injured Craig McLeish was replaced by Paul Watson. There was still no place in the Montrose line up for the injured Jamie Winter.

Montrose lined up with Sandy Wood in goal, McNally and Watson in full back positions with Crawford and Campbell in central defence. The midfield four was Gray, Masson, R. McIntosh and Johnston with Garry Wood and Leighton McIntosh in attack.

The injured duo of Scott Morton and Paul Lunan were back on the bench alongside Phil McGuire, under-19 player David Beedie who is currently on loan to Dundee Violet and goalkeeper David Crawford.

After wet and windy overnight conditions Links Park was passed playable after a 10 a.m. pitch inspection. .

Terry Masson had an early chance with Montrose shooting into the elements but Jamie Barclay in the Clyde goal gathered at his feet.

In the fifth minute the home side won a corner kick after good work from Johnston. Gray swung over the flag kick which found Watson at the back post but he hit his shot into the ground and into the arms of Barclay.

Two minutes later the visitors won a corner of their own after a good run from McColm. Sweeney took the corner kick which the Montrose defence couldn’t deal with and when the ball broke to the unmarked McColm his shot looked set to find the top corner until Stephen McNally pushed the ball over the crossbar with his hands.

Referee Robertson had no alternative but to show the Montrose full back his second red card of the season and reduce Montrose to 10 men for the next 83 minutes.

JOHN SWEENEY stepped up to send Sandy Wood the wrong way from the penalty spot to give Clyde the lead.

Manager Stuart Garden reshuffled his back line-up, moving Terry Mason to right back and narrowing his midfield to three.

In the 15th minute, Garry Wood won the ball in the middle of the park and after brushing off his opponents he sent a low 20-yard shot at Jamie Barclay.

Montrose were finding it difficult to get out of their own half with the 10 men but they did force a corner kick which David Gray took. The ball was cleared by the Clyde defence but only as far as Watson whose cross found Leighton McIntosh inside the box but offside was given by the assistant.

Just after the half hour mark Leighton McIntosh was booked by referee Paul Robertson after two fouls in quick succession on Clyde captain Paul Hay.

With five minutes of the half remaining Montrose almost found the equaliser. A cross from David Gray was cleared by the Clyde defence only as far Paul Watson who fired in a great 30-yard effort at goal only for Barclay to pull off a fantastic save to tip the ball over the crossbar.

Montrose had the elements in their favour at the start of the second half at a cold and blustery Links Park and created the first chance in the 50th minute. Lyden pushed L. McIntosh giving Montrose a free kick which Gray took. The ball fell into the path of Watson but his shot was blocked.

Clyde goalkeeper Jamie Barclay then pulled off a great save to keep his side in the match two minutes later. Garry Wood showed some great footwork inside the box to set up Scott Johnston but the keeper pulled off a great stop to keep out his effort.

In the 59th minute Montrose did grab the equaliser with a well worked goal. Paul Watson played the ball into space down the left and found Leighton McIntosh. He took on his marker at the corner flag, looked up and played the perfect pass into the path of Garry Wood. He in turn laid the ball off to SCOTT JOHNSTON who fired into the bottom corner for his fourth goal of the season.

Montrose kept up the pressure and had another good chance with 66 minutes gone. David Gray picked up the ball in midfield and fired in an effort which Barclay again did well to push around the post.

In the following minute Clyde made their first change of the afternoon when they brought on Kieran McDonald to replace Paul Hay.

Clyde had a corner of their own when McColm played the ball off Masson. Sweeney’s corner fell to Brown at the far post but he hooked the ball over the bar.

Clyde made a further change with 13 minutes of the match remaining bringing on Gary Graham for Kevin Watt.

The impressive Garry Wood was then fouled, giving Montrose a free kick which was taken by Gray into the box but after the ball fell to Wood he couldn’t get his shot in.

In the 84th minute Garry Wood again got the better of Gavin Brown before being clattered to the ground by the full back who was rightly booked by referee Robertson.

It was Clyde who had the final chance of the match when Graham won a free kick near the touchline. Sweeney again took the free kick but it went straight into the arms of Sandy Wood as the match fizzled out with neither side able to grab the winner.

Montrose – S. Wood, McNally, Watson, J. Crawford, Campbell, Masson, Gray, R. McIntosh, L. McIntosh, G. Wood, Johnston Substitutes – Morton, Lunan, McGuire, Beedie and D. Crawford.