Aberdeen score facing wrong way!

Aberdeen Reserves 4

Luthermuir WFC 2

Luthermuir WFC travelled to Balgownie last Saturday for a Second Division North game, against the very good Aberdeen Reserves.

With the game being filmed for some of the girls getting an opportunity to apply for a scholarship to the USA, Luthermuir knew there would be a tough 90 minutes ahead.

Aberdeen started the brighter and within three minutes were a goal ahead. A great ball split the Luthermuir defence open and as their player raced in on goal she coolly slotted it past Charles.

Aberdeen were pinning Luthermuir back and continued to pass the ball around but the defence was strong. On 13 minutes Luthermuir created their first real chance when Hendry took a free kick that sailed by everyone and past the post.

On 16 minutes Aberdeen doubled their lead when a great ball down the right had the winger racing to the by-line; as she crossed to the back post the attacker rose above Mowatt and headed home.

Luthermuir were struggling to get their foot on the ball and Aberdeen was pressing for more goals. On 24 minutes a great ball through the middle had Hendry and Middleton scrambling to clear but the Aberdeen attacker nicked the ball away and fired, but Charles saved well.

Within two minutes a harmless cross was not cleared by either Hendry or Middleton and the attacker was first to react and fire home with Charles helpless.

Luthermuir got on the score sheet on 29 minutes when Hendry fired a free kick over the back line and BROUGH raced clear. As the ‘keeper advanced she coolly lobbed her from 10 yards.

Luthermuir started to press and on 33 minutes Murison was taken down just outside the box out on the right, Hendry fired over the free kick and Boyack poked it just wide.

On 38 minutes Calder and Lownie worked well down the left and as Lownie went to cross to the back post a great tackle put the ball out for a corner.

As the half was drawing to a close a mix-up in the back line had Luthermuir failing to clear the ball. When Charles kicked it clear it ricocheted off the attacker’s back and fell into the goal.

Half-time: Aberdeen 4, Luthermuir 1.

Luthermuir started the second half looking to get back in the game but Aberdeen created the first chance on 49 minutes.

Over the next 10 minutes Aberdeen continued to dominate but failed to get past Charles who was in a determined mood to keep a clean sheet in the second half.

On 61 minutes a great one-two between the midfield created a chance 25 yards out but the shot was held well by Charles. On 63 minutes a corner to Aberdeen was whipped over and Charles punched it clear but the attacker collided with her and the game was stopped for five minutes for treatment to both players. Charles was a little shaken but continued in goal and then pulled off a string of great saves.

On 71 minutes the ball was going for a corner and as Charles raced to the bye-line to collect the referee deemed this to be a pass back, Godsall had words with the referee who issued a red card. The free kick was wasted.

With Aberdeen having a one-player advantage Luthermuir had to defend deep in their own half. Charles made some good saves to prevent the score line being higher.

The final chance came when Lownie played the ball in to the middle of the park and CALDER raced on to it, she skipped past a couple of challenges and rifled it into the top corner from the edge of the box to make the scoreline more respectable.

Luthermuir: Charles, Murray, Godsall, Middleton, Hendry, Mowatt, Calder, Boyack, Brough, Murison, Lownie – Substitute: Bruce.

Player of the Match: Rosie Charles.

Match Ball Sponsor: Scots Corner, Luthermuir.