Arbroath 3-1 Montrose: Lichties restore bragging rights after Gayfield goalfest

Photo - Phoenix Photo Shop
Photo - Phoenix Photo Shop

It was the Bobby Linn show as the Arbroath talisman restored Angus Derby bragging rights to Gayfield Park as the Lichties beat Montrose 3-1.

Linn grabbed a delightful double with trialist Greg Rutherford adding the third, Graham Webster pulling one back for the Gable Endies with a typically excellent finish late on.

The Arbroath players and staff dedicated the victory to their supporters as a means to make amends for losing the first derby of the season 3-0 at Links Park.

And those supporters have to take some credit for the win on Saturday as they roared their team forward for 90 minutes.

The raucous bands of young fans at each end of the ground were creating a terrific atmosphere and the tempo of their noise was mirrored by the frenzied start made to this encounter as both teams flew up the park, though there were no clear chances created.

The visitors went close after 12 minutes when the ball broke kindly to Ross Campbell; the striker cut the ball back but Gary Fraser couldn’t reach it.

The ball came to Ryan Kenneth who had a shot blocked by Andy Munro before his second effort was cleared.

Linn put the Lichties ahead on 24 minutes but it was all Darren Ramsay as the on-loan Rangers youngster jinked past five players with a sublime run before teeing the ball up for Linn to hammer past Jordan Miller from close range.

The hosts were well on top after taking the lead and Linn combined with Craig Johnstone to almost set up Martin Grehan.

Ramsay almost got a goal just after when he cut inside a midfielder before smashing a screamer at goal, but Miller tipped it over.

Montrose grew into the half in the later stages and only a fine challenge by Munro stopped Campbell receiving Fraser’s lovely one-two inside the box.

The second half was a tense affair with nothing in the way of clear chances until after the hour mark, Linn netting his second with a tidy finish after substitute David Gold fed him into the right side of the box.

Substitute trialist Rutherford then made it three on 79 minutes, flicking the ball past Miller at the end of a great move involving Watson that the ex-Alloa Athletic man started himself.

The visitors pulled one back a few minutes later when Webster scored with a great finish seconds after Terry Masson rattled the bar.

Arbroath: Fleming; Watson, Little, Munro, Johnstone; Whatley, Stewart (Gold, 60), 1Clarke; Linn (Lowdon, 89), Grehan (Trialist, 67), Ramsay

Montrose: Miller; Ferguson, Reoch, Steeves, Kenneth; Johnston, Masson, Mallagaray (McCord, 60), Webster; Fraser (Milne, 71), Campbell (Malin, 88)