As easy as it looks for Luthermuir

ON ANOTHER sunny afternoon Luthermuir entertained Newtonhill to a 1st Touch Football Division One East encounter.

Within three minutes they had a free kick 30 yards from the Newtonhill goal. It was floated to the back post where Duff rose well but his header went just wide.

The pressure was mounting and Luthermuir went ahead when a ball through the middle to Anderson from Milne gave him space. He got away from the defender and as the ‘keeper raced out he pushed the ball to the edge of the box where ELLIS coolly slotted it home.

Newtonhill were struggling to get out of their own half and paid for this on 22 minutes. Duff went on a great run through the midfield and was chopped down 30 yards out. ELLIS stepped up and fired the ball into the top corner with the ‘keeper rooted to the spot.

Cruickshank was the next to get a shot on goal when he cut inside the box but he was just wide.

On the half-hour another foul just outside the box was fired goalwards from Cruickshank but the ‘keeper got down to save.

The visitors’ first chance came on 33 minutes when the last of a succession of corners was headed clear by the Muir defence. As the ball dropped 20 yards out it was volleyed just wide.

Just before the break ELLIS got his hat trick when Anderson went out wide to collect the ball and crossed for him to slot round the ‘keeper.

Half-time: Luthermuir 3, Newtonhill 1.

The Muir started where they left off and on 49 minutes a great run down the left by Slesser resulted in a corner. Cruickshank fired the ball to the back post where SLESSER rose like a salmon and headed number four.

On 57 minutes a ball over the defence by Ellis to Slesser, out wide, was touched back for Milne to cross to the onrushing Anderson. He controlled it first time and shot but it was brilliantly saved at point-blank range.

Luthermuir made a change to rest Woods and give R. Darar 30 minutes game time.

On 65 minutes the Luthermuir back line was caught sleeping and the striker raced clear slot the ball by Wands for a consolation goal.

Anderson was replaced by K. Darar. On 81 minutes a great ball down the left wing had Cruickshank away but his low cross was fired just wide by K. Darar.

On 83 minutes Robertson came on for Milne. The final chance fell to Luthermuir on 86 minutes when a corner was whipped over by Cruickshank and the defence headed it out. Reid was first to react and fed the ball into Miller who turned and fired his shot which just clipped the crossbar.

Luthermuir: Wands, Miller, Duff, Wood (R. Darar), Milne (Robertson), Cruickshank, Ellis, Craig, Reid, Anderson, Slesser (K. Darar). Substitutes S. Lindsay and Young.

Man of the match: Jim Ellis.