Back down to earth against East Stirling


A CROWD of 327 arrived at Links Park on Saturday to see if Stuart Garden’s side could become just the second club this season to win the week after Ibrox.

Unfortunately for the Gable Endies that turned out not to be the case as second from bottom side East Stirlingshire made them fight from 2-0 down to get a draw.

A goal from Martin Boyle not long before half-time gave the home side a boost but it still looked like the visitors would take all three points until a stunning strike from David Gray in the 83rd minute made it 2-2.

East Stirling started strongly and forced Montrose ‘keeper John Gibson into a save using his feet in the fourth minute.

But neither side had many clear cut chances until a Jamie Winter free kick in the 14th minute that was cleared by Richard Miller.

The deadlock was broken three minutes later when David Greenhill took East Stirlingshire into the lead with a shot past Gibson from close range.

In the 22nd minute Greenhill struck again when his 25-yard volley gave Gibson no chance.

With Montrose seeming to struggle for most of the first half a goal before half-time was looking less and less likely.

But in the 36th minute Garry Wood found Martin Boyle who sent the ball into the net from 10 yards out.

Following the goal, Boyle picked up the first booking of the game with a controversial yellow from referee David Somers for showing a message under his shirt.

With tensions running high as the half drew to a close East Stirlingshire took another chance but Kevin Turner’s shot hit the post.

As the second half got underway Michael Herd picked up the first booking for East Stirlingshire for unsporting behaviour.

In the 48th minute Jamie Glasgow’s shot for the visitors came close but went just left of the post.

Martin Boyle could have made it level in the 52nd minute but his effort met the bar.

Five minutes later Leighton McIntosh was replaced by David Gray.

In the 66th minute both sides made further changes when Jamie Winter was replaced by new signing Ross McCord for Montrose and Maxwell Wright came on for Jamie Glasgow.

Within minutes of coming on Wright forced Gibson into a save with a shot from the penalty area.

In the 75th minute Terry Masson picked up Montrose’s second booking.

Two minutes later Montrose made their final substitution bringing on Scott Morton for Scott Johnston.

With just ten minutes to go Turner’s header for the visitors was saved by Gibson.

Then three minutes later sub Gray brought Montrose an equaliser for the second time in two games with a stunning 20-yard volley with an assist from Terry Masson.

Two more bookings were picked up in the closing stages one for each side with Gray for dissent for Montrose and Michael Hunter for East Stirlingshire for unsporting behaviour.

McCord attempted the final shot of the game but saw his effort cleared to safety by Miller.