Bad day in the capital for 10-man Montrose Roselea

Roselea travelled to Paties Road, Edinburgh to face bottom side Edinburgh Utd as they returned to Premier League action for another week with the Scottish Cup tie at Bonnyrigg Rose looming.

Montrose went into the game sitting 10th out of 16 sides after nine games although they did have a game in hand over a few of the sides around them.

After a good start from the home team it was Roselea who had a double chance when Collier combined well to set up Cruickshank who had his shot saved by the feet of Easton in the home goal but Collier was the quickest to react to the rebound but saw his header cannon off the post.

On 10 minutes it was the home side’s turn to hit the woodwork as Auriemma capitalised on a poor pass from McDowell before sliding the ball past Mcleod only for it to come back off the post.

There was a scare for Roselea on 12 minutes when Mcleod came out of his box to clear a back pass but missed it allowing Elliot to pick up the loose ball but he squandered his shot.

Roselea had a promising move on 18 minutes as Campbell whipped in a cross, but as three Roselea players attacked the ball it was a slight touch from Collier that nicked the ball away from Whyte.

The home side took the lead after 20 minutes as Elliot skipped past three defenders before slotting home from 10 yards.

In an end to end game Michael Cruickshank had a great chance to equalise but was denied again by a brilliant save from young home keeper Easton

Roselea mounted on the pressure and after a well worked corner Collier was left with space at the back post however, with the goal at his mercy he headed the ball downwards and over the bar.

Collier had another chance on 34 minutes when he capitalised on a mistake by Devlin of United and looked to be in on goal only for the referee to pull the play back for a foul.

The game was turned on its head ten minutes from half-time with a red card for Roselea.

Craig Sturrock went in hard with a late tackle and was shown a straight red card by the referee.

Just as things looked bleak for Montrose they were handed a well deserved break.

A great ball from Collier sent Cruickshank away and when he was faced one on one with keeper Easton the young stopper did well again to save with his feet only for the ball to ricochet off Devlin for an own goal.

The second half got off to a slow start but Scott McDowell forced his way into the Edinburgh penalty area only for Easton to pull off another save to deny his left footed shot.

On 57 minutes Callum Rae was forced into defensive action as he cleared a goalbound header off the line.

Things got worse for the away side just after the hour mark when the referee awarded a penalty to United after a handball from close range by Whyte.

Nwanze stepped up to the plate for the home side and calmly slotted the ball home from 12 yards.

With just over 20 minutes left to play Edinburgh dealt Roselea a killer blow as Stevens drilled the ball towards goal and a slight deflection took the ball past Mcleod in the goal.

As the full time whistle approached there was a scramble for the ball in the United box but it came to nothing for the visitors.

Whyte left the field with a cut eye and had to be replaced by Morgan Smith.

Rosleea made two more changes in a bid to get back into the game with Greig on for Anderson on 73 minutes and Taylor for S Smith on 77 minutes.

Probably Roselea’s best chance of the half came when Greig dispossessed the defender and cut inside to give Taylor an open goal but his pass lacked power and was cut out by an Edinburgh defender.

Montrose drop a place to 11th following the loss and are now just five points above their opponents Edinburgh who remain rooted to the bottom of the league.

Roselea travel to Edinburgh again this weekend as they face East Region Superleague side Bonnyrigg Rose in the Scottish Junior Cup Second Round.

Roselea: Mcleod, Rae, Campbell, Sturrock, Whyte, Thomson, S Smith, Anderson, McDowell, Cruickshank, Collier