Better second half too little too late

Lowson United 4 Merpro 0

Merpro’s recent run of good results came to an abrupt end on Saturday with a disappointing result against Division One third-placed Lowson in Forfar.

Merpro had hopes of returning home with a full set of points, but a strangely subdued first half performance against solid opponents did too much damage to recover from, in an improved second half .

Lowson went ahead in five minutes when Danny SMITH was allowed to drift past a couple of markers inside the box to curl home a fine effort from 12 yards.

Merpro replied with a dangerous Robertson free kick, headed clear three minutes later. From the resultant corner Murdoch had a close range snap shot deflected wide.

Gall made a good diving save in 18 minutes to parry away a swerving 20-yard effort.

Merpro almost snatched an equaliser when Hector did well to rob a dallying defender and fire in a fierce low drive but an excellent diving save turned his effort round the post. From the follow-up corner Murdoch had an opportunity but steered his header wide.

Lowson began to take control of the match, containing Merpro who were finding it difficult to get cohesion in their play.

Lowson went further ahead following a corner kick, with Rhys Greig initially doing well to head clear under pressure but the ball fell to Rory CRICHTON lurking on the edge of the box to drill back a low drive which Gall saw late in the goalmouth melee and could only get a despairing hand to.

Merpro tried to reply and Euan Duff did well to hold off a marker and lay a pass into the path of Milne, but his shot sliced wide.

Lowson went further ahead when Danny SMITH collected a pass in midfield and ran past a marker, with time to curl a long range fine strike into the corner of the net three minutes before the break.

Half-time: Lowson 3, Merpro 0.

Merpro immediately started better with Bruce making a good run and firing a shot over the bar.

The visitors looked more relaxed and were keeping Lowson pinned back. Hector had an edge of the box free kick cleared in 50 minutes.

McDougall did well to hit a left foot effort on the turn, but his shot went just over the bar.

Milne then curled in a deft cross for Euan Duff to out-jump his marker in 58 minutes, but his glancing header from 10 yards went just wide.

Hector had an opening after good play by Milne and a Jordan Greig lay-off, but his snap shot at goal was competently dealt with.

Merpro had another opening with 20 minutes left on the watch when Rhys Greig did well to slip in a dangerous near post cross, with Duff getting in front of his marker but unable to get enough curl on the ball to hit the target from four yards.

The visitors’ chances faded when a rare Lowson second half attack created a mix-up in defence and Calum HOWIE accepted the gift to drill in a low shot from an acute angle on the 80 minute mark.

Merpro continued to attempt to get a goal back with a couple of free kicks sailing over the bar in the closing stages but to no avail.

Their erratic first half display cost Merpro the match and, despite an improved second half when they regained their cohesion, Lowson ran out deserved winners overall.

Team: Gall, Murdoch (McDougall), S. Robertson (J. Greig), Milne, N. Duff, Houston, Whyte, R. Greig, E. Duff, Hector (Petrie) and Bruce. Substitute: Smith.