Black Abbot hungry for the treble

Black Abbot 6,

Springers 1

BLACK Abbot contested the final of the Matrix Cup last Sunday against Springers, at Nursery Park, Brechin.

After an even start and with the wind in their backs, Black Abbot took the lead in five minutes when a cross by K. Duncan was headed home by ROBB.

Abbot dominated the next 15 minutes, but on a rare foray up the park Springers were awarded a penalty, which was slammed home by FERGUSSON to equalise.

This gave the Brechin side a boost and they enjoyed their best spell of the game, but without bringing any saves from the Abbot ‘keeper.

Five minutes from the break Abbot were given a free kick on the edge of the box. This was drilled home by DUNCAN to put his side back in front.

Half-time: Black Abbot 2, Springers 1.

Soon after the restart Abbot extended their lead with a carbon copy free kick by DUNCAN.

On 55 minutes another stunning free kick by Duncan crashed off the underside of the bar and appeared to bounce well over the line; however play was waved on and in the ensuing scramble the ball was headed home by SELLAR.

Abbot continued to be in total control off this final and added a fifth when DUNCAN again fired a free kick round the wall to complete his hat-trick.

The game was over when KEDDIE walked through a couple of hapless challenges and fired home from an acute angle to complete the scoring and allow his side to lift their first trophy of a hectic season that has see them reach the final of the Piggins Cup, the last eight of the Scottish Cup, a league decider play-off, and the Charlie Wallace Cup final.

Black Abbot 5,

Hudsons 1

BLACK Abbot clinched their league decider play-off last Tuesday against MCT with a resounding victory over Hudsons.

Abbot, however, never had it all their own way after a very even opening spell, with the fierce wind being the only winner.

Hudsons opened the score from the spot after Abbot ‘keeper Melrose made a rash challenge in the box, resulting in a red card for him, a penalty to Hudsons and the player rushed to hospital with a suspected broken shoulder.

Hudsons scored from penalty to take the lead.

With no substitutes left, Hudsons were reduced to 10 men when their only sub hobbled off.

Abbot equalised through ROBB firing through the’ keeper’s legs.

Abbot have dropped four points in Tuesday games already this season, and with a reduced strength side and were fired up enough not to drop any more.

FYVIE fired home Abbot’s second and third before SELLAR made it 4-1.

BUIST completed the scoring to keep his side’s hopes alive for a league and cup treble.