Blow for Montrose as Boyle departs

editorial image

MONTROSE FC will be without star striker Martin Boyle after he completed a dream move to SPL side Dundee FC last week.

Boyle, who played every minute of every game last season, made his debut for Montrose as a 16-year-old against Hibernian in January, 2009.

He signed his first professional contract in August, 2010, then went on to score for the first time in an 8-1 victory over Clyde in September of that year.

At the end of last season Boyle won the coveted Ginger Boot award after scoring 22 goals - more than any other player in the entire SFL.

Describing the move as “amazing”, Boyle made his debut for Dundee FC on Sunday in their 3-0 defeat to Dundee United in the much anticipated local derby.

Boyle said: “I was a bit nervous before playing, obviously as it was the Dundee derby. And I never really expected to be playing.

“From my point of view it was a good start - we never conceded once I came on - but it was just amazing, apart from the final score.”

Formerly based in Aberdeen, Boyle has now moved to Dundee as he begins his life in full-time football but he says he will always have a place in his heart for Montrose FC and the fans. He said: “Montrose will always mean a lot to me since the club gave me my first chance.

“The fans have been outstanding, absolutely brilliant and I have to thank them for that.

“It was Steven Tweed who gave me my first chance at the club but I also have to mention Ray Farningham, Stuart Garden and Lee Wilkie who have all helped me along the way.

“I would also like to thank all the coaches, backroom staff and Ronnie [Marquis].

“Thank you to all the fans, everyone, who has believed in me along the way.”

Montrose manager Stuart Garden added: “It is a big loss for us but a good move for him. We all knew that it would happen some day.

“It is a blow but now we just have to get on with it.”

Montrose have not had the best of times this week as they crashed out of the Ramsdens Cup after a 5-2 loss against Raith Rovers and then a draw after two late goals against Queen’s Park.

Garden said: “I think at Raith Rovers they started well while we were just not at the races at all. We started to get back into it after half-time when they were down to 10 men.

“We did okay in the second half but they were just the better team.

“Against Queen’s Park we did particularly well but it was down to bad defending that we lost the two late goals.”

With goalkeeper Sandy Wood likely to be out for a while with a broken nose, the club have secured the services of former Clyde ‘keeper David Crawford.