Cup defeat for Montrose is a sore one but progress in quality is clear to see

Photo - Phoenix Photo Shop.
Photo - Phoenix Photo Shop.

Montrose Roselea faced Lochee for the second time this season as they met in the DJ Laing East Of Scotland Cup, and although the latter team were again victorious 2-1, the home team will feel they have a lot of positives to take from the game as they were beaten by a single goal.

The Broomfield Park outfit set up with a new formation as to previous games this season as they aimed to give more protection to the defence from midfield by playing three centre midfielders and brought their wingers in narrower as to try support Watson up top as much as they could.

Ball retention has been recognised as a problem area for the team and this system improved that aspect tenfold.

Roselea created the first chance after just three minutes.

Campbell playing at full back whipped in a great ball to find Greig but as he tried to control with his chest, an away defender recovered to break up the attack.

It was the same move just 10 minutes later when Campbell again found Greig.

This time the winger’s control was exceptional and he created space for himself to shoot, but his effort was well closed down by a Lochee defender.

Roselea were well on top by now and a Sturrock free kick found Whyte, but he could only direct his header towards the keeper.

Lochee then hit the ‘Lea with a crucial blow. McComiskie picked up the ball just inside the box, dummied a shot and laid the ball on to his other foot before placing the strike with the outside of his boot into the far corner, giving McLeod no chance.

Roselea tried to hit back on 35 minutes as Collier played a one-two with Watson but then dragged his shot wide of the post.

The home team had one more chance just before half time when a corner fell on the edge of the area to Sturrock but his shot was well charged down by the resolute Lochee defence.

Lochee doubled their lead straight into the second half. Birse found Deasley who shot into the corner from the edge of the box.

Lochee had a great chance to end the tie just a minute later when a cross found Birse at the back post but he sailed his shot well over.

S Smith replaced Mowatt after 58 minutes.

Roselea had the ball in the back of the net after an hour.

The away team were reduced to 10 men when Cochrane was shown a red card for a kick on Anderson.

Rae bravely blocked an effort from Deasley to ensure Roselea remained in the match with 15 to go.

Collier had a golden opportunity to get a goal back for Roselea when a Sturrock cross found him at the back post and he did everything right heading it down but keeper Gray made himself big to stop the effort.

The home team did get the goal they deserved with five minutes left.

A great swerving ball from Sturrock into the danger area was met by Watson sliding in and his effort was poked past the keeper.

Roselea had a chance right at the death to send the match into penalties when S Smith delivered a fantastic cross into the box but it was inches too high for Collier who had made a great run into the area.

Roselea will feel disheartened to be knocked out of the cup but will also be encouraged by the improvement in the level of the performance.

They face Falkirk Juniors next week as they are back in league action and will feel if they can replicate things with perhaps the slightest of modifications, they will begin to pick up some much needed points in the league.

Man of the Match - Calum Watson

Montrose Roselea: McLeod, Rae, Campbell, Whyte, Sturrock, Collier, Greig, Anderson, Watson, Mowatt, Cruickshank, L Bailey, S Smith, R Taylor, Thomson, M Smith