Cup semi-final defeat for under-14s

Dundee Galaxy 3,

Montrose Youth 2

MONTROSE Youth were in Dundee last Sunday (March 26) when they met Galaxy in the semi-final of the Rosslyn Cup.

The Claypotts pitch was less soggy than usual and pleasant weather conditions greeted both sides for this important match.

Starting badly, the local side allowed the dangerous Galaxy left winger to score early on with a high shot under the bar from 25 yards.

After the early shock, Montrose began to put their game into shape. After an unsuccessful shot from Ryan Mather, Shaun Law had a good effort after a clumsy clearance from Galaxy. However, the Dundee ‘keeper managed to divert Shaun’s 25-yard shot away.

In the 20th minute, the young Gable Endies were lucky when a Galaxy free kick hit the crossbar. A minute later Montrose pushed forward and Yan Couineaux-Rice’s left-foot shot was palmed away by the Dundee ‘keeper, but only as far as Kyle McLeod. The custodian saved again, but LIAM BAILEY finished the job with a well placed ball.

The Montrose passing was fluent but lacked the finishing touch. Another attempt at goal from Ryan in the 26th minute went wide. Galaxy reacted and, in the 31st minute, Cameron Glennie saved his team by stopping a strong 30-yard shot. The diverted ball hit the crossbar before being cleared by the defence.

The half-time whistle blew with the score at 1-1.

Back on the battlefield, the local side missed two sitters in the 36th minute. Matthew Davis shaved the right side of the post by an inch and Dean Quinn failed to finish in front of an empty net. Shortly after this Morgan Smith headed over the crossbar.

However, the Montrose side went in front when DEAN QUINN’S wind-assisted cross to Bailey curved into the back of the net.

The black and yellow side stayed dangerous mainly through their menacing left winger. He gave Montrose a fright with a ball that went wide.

In the 53rd minute, Bailey was pushed inside the box in a way that could easily have deserved a penalty. At the other end, a scrappy Montrose clearance found the Galaxy menace whose semi-volley gave Glennie no chance to level things.

Eight minutes later, Smith came close with a shot into the side-netting. Montrose felt a sense of injustice when penalised in the 68th minute for a tackle which started outside the box.

Glennie’s well-judged dive was not enough to save the penalty and Galaxy were back in the driving seat.

Montrose restarted the game very quickly and Quinn’s cross in the last minute found Davis who volleyed under the crossbar.

The goal was disallowed for a very dubious offside decision which meant no extra-time was to be played to decide this semi-final.

Only the league campaign is left for Montrose Youth this season now that Galaxy have deprived them of sup silverware twice.

When the Dundee team come to Broomfield in a few weeks for their final league encounter they can expect a toughly competitive match.