Deserved point at Broadwood

A GOAL from substitute Conor Thomson four minutes from time ensured that Montrose came away with a share of the points against bottom of the table Clyde last Tuesday.

The point was no more than the Gable Endies deserved and made sure that they kept six points ahead of Jim Duffy’s side in eighth place.

Both sides can take credit from putting on a good match in difficult conditions although the Gable Endies were the better passing side on the night.

After the 1–0 victory over Elgin City at the weekend Montrose made one change to their line up with Terry Masson coming in for the unavailable Hugh Davidson.

The visitors lined up in a 4–3–1-2 formation. Gonzalez was in goal with McNally and Sinclair in the full-back positions. Crighton and Campbell were in central defence. Cameron, Masson and Crawford were the midfield three with McCord sitting in front of strikers Boyle and Nicol.

Hegarty, Smith, Thomson, Pierce and goalkeeper Wood were on the bench.

Montrose got the match under way in difficult wet and windy conditions at Broadwood Stadium.

It was the visitors who had the first effort on goal but Terry Masson’s shot from 35 yards out was caught in the wind and flew wide of Halliwell’s goal.

Three minutes later Jamie McCluskey shot well wide from 20 yards out for the home side.

In the 13th minute Montrose had a let off in a goalmouth scramble when both McCluskey and Finlayson had shots blocked in a goalmouth scramble as the visitors’ defence held firm.

Two minutes later Clyde won a free kick when Crighton fouled Sawyers. McCluskey took the long range effort at goal, but Gonzalez did well to punch clear.

Referee David Somers warned Alan Campbell after his strong challenge on McCusker. From the resultant free kick from 25 yards out the ball beat Gonzalez in the Montrose goal but smacked off the top of the crossbar and out of play.

In the 25th minute the Gable Endies had another let off when the home side hit the crossbar again. This time it was Pat Scullion who took full advantage of the conditions when he picked up a poor clearance from Masson and smacked a shot in which hit the bar.

As the rain started to swirl around the ground. Boyle won Montrose a corner kick which was taken by Ross McCord but his effort was held by Halliwell.

With 10 minutes of the half remaining a well worked move involving Boyle who found Crawford and Daryl Nicol almost carved open the home defence, but the latter could only chip the ball just over the bar from inside the box.

McCluskey then swung in another corner this time from the left but Scullion headed the ball over the bar.

In the 40th minute Martin Boyle won a free kick after a foul by Gramovics. Cameron swung in a dangerous ball but the home defence cleared.

With three minutes of the first half left the home side won a free kick themselves wide on the left but when Scullion swung the ball over. Sean Crighton was on hand to clear the danger.

Montrose made a change at the start of the second half with Nicky Smith coming on to replace Douglas Cameron.

In the 47th minute a Sinclair free kick was played into the box but Boyle just couldn’t get hold of the ball and the chance was gone.

The visitors suffered a blow in the 50th minute when they were forced into another change. Martin Boyle when down under a challenge in the box from McMillan. It was clear the motionless youngster had clearly taken a sore one and, after a short spell of treatment from Craig Smith, he was helped from the field and replaced by Conor Thomson. It was later disclosed that Martin had suffered a hamstring injury that might rule him out for the rest of the season.

In the 59th minute Nicol went on a solo run which ended with his shot being blocked by the home defence.

Seconds later Clyde were reduced to 10 men when Gavin Brown raised his hands after a midfield clash with Jonathan Crawford. Referee Somers immediately flashed the red card at the home full-back before showing Crawford a yellow for his reactions.

The Bully Wee immediately made a change bringing on ex-Rangers midfielder Charlie Miller in place of William Sawyers.

Montrose tried to make the extra man advantage count and in the 67th minute Ross McCord fed Nicol inside the area but the striker’s shot was again held by Halliwell.

In the 70th minute Sinclair won Montrose a corner kick which was taken by McCord. His first effort was pushed out for another corner by goalkeeper Halliwell. The on-loan Dundee United youngster took kick again and this time Sean Crighton powered a header over the crossbar from close range.

In the next minute Clyde made another change bringing on Alan Lithgow for Alexsandrs Gramovics.

Montrose had a great chance to open the scoring in the next minute. A great ball from Sinclair played Conor Thomson through with only Halliwell to beat, but from 10 yards out the substitute dragged his left-foot shot well wide of the far post.

Montrose then brought on new signing Sean Pierce for Nicol.

Pierce was immediately in action and after controlling a crossfield pass from Masson he volleyed wide of the far post from the edge of the box.

Two minutes later referee Somers booked Alan Campbell for a foul on Clyde’s Marc McCusker.

Disaster struck Montrose in the 85th minute when the homesters were awarded a penalty kick given for a Crighton tackle on McCusker inside the box, with the Clyde man falling to the ground before he had been tackled. Before the kick could be taken Crighton was booked for dissent. McCusker stepped up to take the kick only for Gonzalez to pull off a great save to his left. Unfortunately the Montrose defence didn’t follow the ball in but PAT SCULLION did and he managed to knock the rebound past the keeper.

Clyde then made a final switch of the match sending on John Stewart for McCusker.

Within a minute the Gable Endies had found the equaliser. McCord played the ball out wide to McNally wide on the right. He raced up the flank and fired across a low driven cross and substitute CONOR THOMSON was on hand to volley home his fifth goal of the season from close range.

It was now all Montrose and McNally again found himself in a similar position but this time he hit the post. The ball came back to McCord inside the area but he wasted the chance and shot wide.

With two minutes remaining Pierce won a free kick after he was flattened outside the box. Thomson took the free kick but his effort hit the wall and went out for a corner kick.

On the stroke of full-time Montrose won another free kick in a similar position to minutes earlier. This time it was Ross McCord some 30 yards out who took the kick but he shot over and the final chance for all three points had gone.

Montrose: Gonzalez, McNally, Sinclair, Crighton, Campbell, Cameron (Smith), Crawford, Masson, Boyle (Thomson), Nicol (Pierce), McCord. Substitutes: Hegarty and Wood.