Drubbings for Dundee sides

Montrose Youth Under-15s 7,

Dee Club 2

BROOMFIELD, under a very showery sky, welcomed the Dundee visitors last Sunday.

Both teams started slowly as they sized up their opponents’ qualities, but the home team quickly showed who would be boss.

In the fifth minute, Darren Forbes headed against the crossbar. The ‘keeper parried a shot from Matthew Davis and Forbes was unlucky not to finish the move.

The bar was hit again in the 10th minute, by Yan Couineaux-Rice. In an untidy action a minute later, Liam BAILEY hit home with a goal which was allowed, though possibly offside.

FORBES’ superb header from Dean Quinn’s cross increased the score in the 15th minute. With Montrose’s midfield winning most of their challenges, Scott COULL netted the third goal from a pass by Morgan Smith.

The busy Montrose forwards had two further high shots, from Matthew and Scott.

FORBES doubled his tally in the 24th minute, with a flourish that eliminated all his opponents. Alone in front of the ‘keeper, he gave him no chance.

The first half ended with Montrose dominant in all parts of the pitch.

Half-time: Montrose 4, Dee Club 0.

Back on the field, Montrose soon added to the score when COULL catapulted the ball home from Liam Bailey’s cross.

Dee Club reduced the deficit with a superb header from their first corner of the game, but their euphoria was shortlived.

The home team responded a minute later when Couineaux-Rice crossed for Liam BAILEY to score with a volley.

The Dundee team found the net a second time when Cameron Glennie, who had a fairly quiet day, was surprised by a pass-back. His clearance was too soft and he was lobbed by a Dundee midfielder who could not believe his luck.

In the 70th minute David Craig was yellow-carded for bad language. Montrose scored their seventh and final goal when a bad tackle brought Matthew down Taking the free-kick himself, he found Connor MITCHELL, who headed into the net.

Montrose Youth Under-15s 4,

Dundee United 0

SUNDAY lunchtime at Broomfield was sunny but breezy when Montrose hosted Dundee in the second round of the Scottish Cup. The home team was immediately on the hunt, launching attacks.

In the second minute, Morgan Smith drove down the right touchline to cross for BAILEY to volley past the helpless ’keeper.

After such a positive start, Montrose pressed the Dundee defence and SMITH was brought down 25 yards from goal His free kick in only the fifth minute found the top right corner. This second goal made United fight back and Glennie had to use all his skill to keep them out.

Montrose were still pressing into the visitors’ half and Couineaux-Rice had a shot over the bar in the 24th minute. Bailey, Mitchell and Smith were very busy in midfield. Mitchell, in the 32nd minute, had a shot diverted for a corner from which Davis volleyed left of the post.

Three minutes later, Bailey set up COUINEAUX-RICE on the left to lob the Dundee ‘keeper for a three-goal lead. Five minutes later, from the same position, COUINEAUX-RICE repeated the shot to beat the unfortunate ‘keeper again.

Half-time: Montrose 4, Dundee United 0.

Against the breeze after the resumption, Montrose were still dangerous. United were lucky to escape a punishing free-kick from 30 yards by Smith. Quinn got his chance in the 55th minute but missed by a whisker. Annoyed by his team’s lack of success the Dundee number two was yellow carded for dissent.

Dominating in midfield and up front, Morgan headed over the crossbar. In the 79th minute, Dundee’s number 10 received a yellow card for fouling Craig. Morgan fired the last shot over the bar for a goalless second half.