Fingers crossed that pre-season form lasts

Continued from back page

THE HOME side’s Alan Campbell took the last chance of the game two minutes into extra time but saw his effort just slip over the top of the bar.

Montrose were due to face Dundee United at their St Andrews training ground as the Review went to press, and are now preparing for their final pre-season fixture this weekend against Arbroath at Gayfield.

The Gable Endies will next meet Raith Rovers on Saturday, July 30, again at Links Park, for the first round of the Scottish Communities League Cup.

Montrose: Sandy Wood, Stephen McNally, Alan Campbell, Jonathan Smart, Sean Crighton, Jamie Winters (trialist), David DiMilta, Jon Crawford, Martin Boyle, Sean Pierce, Steven McPhee (trialist). Subs: Dougie Cameron, Terry Masson, Scott Johnstone, Jordan Timmons (trialist), Brian Clark (trialist), Kyle Allison (trialist).

See page 30 for the pre-season game against Forfar.

Draw away at Station Park

Forfar 1,

Montrose 1

IN THEIR previous game the Gable Endies recorded a well fought one-all draw against second division side Forfar Athletic last Tuesday.

Manager Ray Farningham’s side was keen to build on the momentum started the previous Saturday with a 2-0 win over another second division side, Stenhousemuir.

Mr Farningham made a few changes to Saturday’s team, replacing ‘keeper Sandy Wood with a trialist while goalscorer Martin Boyle started on the bench.

The match got off to a slow start with neither team dominating but by 10 minutes in Montrose were starting to look stronger.

In the eighth minute of the game Terry Masson took advantage of the first opportunity for the Gable Endies but his shot from 25 yards went wide of the post.

Just two minutes later Forfar’s Chris Templeman retaliated but sent the ball soaring over the bar.

In the 13th minute Forfar threatened Montrose again when a corner taken by Bolochoweckyj went dangerously close to the net before being headed to safety by Stephen McNally.

Three minutes later Montrose came close with a corner taken by Dougie Cameron but their efforts were thwarted by Forfar.

In the 18th minute a strong shot at goal by Forfar’s Stevie Crawford was saved by the Montrose ‘keeper.

Johnathan Smart took his first opportunity of the game with a cracking header which he was unlucky to see to go over the top of the bar.

Montrose made their first substitution of the game when an injured trialist came off to make way for youngster Martin Boyle.

In the 29th minute a long run down the side of the park by a Forfar trialist came to nothing when a cross to Iain Campbell went wide of the post.

Ten minutes later Chris Hegarty took the ball and looked dangerous for Montrose before being flagged offside.

Half-time: Forfar 0, Montrose 0.

After half time both teams came out looking stronger and just two minutes in Boyle almost scored for Montrose but was denied by the ‘keeper.

In the 57th minute a foul by Forfar’s Jamie Bishop on Boyle resulted in a penalty for the visitors which was slotted away easily by Jonathan CRAWFORD.

In the 63rd minute a Ross Campbell effort went wide of the post for Forfar.

Eight minutes later Iain Campbell took a shot from 30 yards that went over the bar.

After a number of substitutions made by both teams Forfar broke their deadlock in the 70th minute with a Ross CAMPBELL goal bringing the scores level.

Almost 10 minutes later Forfar almost brought the score to 2-1 but an effort by a trialist went just wide.

On the attack again, Forfar came close to scoring again seconds later but Masson cleared the ball away.

Both teams were clearly picking up the pace in the closing stages of the game as barely a minute later a cross from Montrose’s McNally just skimmed the bar.

Forfar then had two more chances to take lead but efforts from two trailiasts also failed to find the net with one thwarted by the ‘keeper and the other just clearing the post.

Moments later Martin Boyle again tried to score but his header went wide.

The game ended with a well-earned 1-1 draw for both sides.