First half goal earns the points

ROSELEA were looking to bounce back from their unexpected Scottish Cup exit to Blairgowrie with a win over Kirrie Thistle, three points behind them in the North Division League.

The local side made one change from the Blairgowrie game with a fit-again Stewart Fletcher coming back in, and Joe Aitken dropping back to the bench.

On a perfect day for football Roselea kicked off facing a very low sun which was going to make vision difficult for the majority of the match.

Kirrie Thistle started well and produced the first chance in five minutes. Farquharson’s corner found the head of Archibald and his try came back off the post before Millar blasted over from close range.

In 13 minutes Roselea showed their first real piece of action. Riach played Collier in down the left side and his cross was cleared just as Fletcher was coming to score.

Kirrie were dominating play, forcing Roselea to tamper with their formation and this in turn led to the visitors adjusting their set-up to compensate.

On 16 minutes Urquhart of Roselea was lucky to pick up just a booking as his high tackle was punished.

Roselea should have taken the lead on 23 minutes despite all the Kirrie possession. Fletcher gathered a short corner and put in a dipping ball which Collier flicked on. Urquhart, rushing in at the far post should have put the ball in the net but, after a scramble, it ended up in keeper Hutchinson’s arms.

Roselea took the lead on the half-hour mark when COLLIER scored his 11th goal of the season with a looping header from great Rae free kick.

Kirrie Thistle then had three chances which were all thwarted with saves by Mcleod.

Half-time: Roselea 1, Kirrie Thistle 0.

Roselea were shooting with the ever lowering sun at their backs and Collier was first to show some creativity when his run took him past three Kirrie defenders before he flicked the ball over the bar.

The homesters were put under pressure in 56 minutes when Shaun Taylor fizzed a ball across the Roselea goal face but his shot went just over the head of the Kirrie striker.

Roselea made their first change when Mustard replaced Riach on 60 minutes

Calum Rae was unlucky to be penalised for a free kick in 63 minutes as he tried to pull out of the challenge. Morrice stepped up and sent a dangerous shot in which Mcleod had to tip over for a corner.

Roselea had a let-off in 73 minutes when Sievewright should have scored but blasted over after the ball broke to him in the box.

The homesters had a chance to seal the points when they won a penalty in 81 minutes. Colquhoun fed Rae who drove down the right and he in turn sent Fletcher away in the box. The striker was clever enough to make Hutchinson dive for ball, bringing him down in the process. Collier stepped up and tried to dummy the ‘keeper who guessed correctly and redeemed himself with a great save at the post. After a scramble with Collier the ball was gathered and the chance gone.

Roselea had another great chance to increase their lead a minute later when Collier headed a Kennedy free kick onto the bar when he should have scored.

Referee McIllveny blew for time and it was a relieved and happy Roselea that celebrated the win.

Like the Scottish tie the week this before was another game that could have gone either way. Both sides played open football and had plenty of chances to win. Roselea probably just shaded it overall after Kirrie’s early dominance. It was another good team performance with all playing their part in the win.

Roselea: Mcleod, Colquhoun, Whyte, Reoch, R. Taylor, Rae, Urquhart, Anderson, Riach, Collier, Fletcher. Substitutes: Hood, Aitken, Mustard, Rodger, P. Taylor, Kennedy and Craig.


Roselea travel to Dundee to face East Craigie in the League on Saturday. Craigie have picked up a few good results recently and had a 5-0 win over Brechin Vics on Saturday. Kick-off is at 2pm.