First home victory of 2014 for the Gable Endies

Paul Watson heads for the goal
Paul Watson heads for the goal

Montrose Football Club recorded their first home victory since November when they defeated bottom of the table Queen’s Park at Links Park on Saturday.

The all important goal came from midfielder Paul Watson who struck home a beauty just past the hour mark to settle the match.

Queen’s Park more than matched Montrose on a day of windy conditions and in the end Montrose must be thankful to longest serving player Alan Campbell who twice cleared efforts off the goal line during the second half when the visitors had the conditions in their favour.

After the defeat down at Annan Athletic, manager Stuart Garden made one change to his line up with Terry Masson now free of suspension coming in to replace Graham Webster.

Montrose lined up with McKenzie in the goal. Crawford and McIntosh in full back positions with captain Garry Wood and Alan Campbell teaming up in central defence with Luke Johnston still injured. Midfield was Masson, Watson and Reid and Up front was the trio of Johnston, Ferguson and Deasley. On the bench for Montrose were Gray, McCord, Wilson, Duguid, Sturrock, Webster and goalkeeper McCafferty.

In charge of Queen’s Park was ex-St Mirren manager Gus McPherson.

Montrose had the first real chance of the match in the 10th minute when Scott Johnston did well to catch the ball before it crossed the by-line and he fired over a cross which Jamie Reid could only screw wide of goal.

The visitors had their first real opportunity of the game in the 15th minute when Alan Campbell fouled Quinn. James Baty fired over the free kick but McKenzie gathered easily.

Four minutes later, the Gable Endies constructed a goal opportunity when a good passing move saw Watson find Deasley out on the left and he cut inside his marker before firing a good chance wide from the edge of the box.

The strong wind was making creating chances difficult for both sides but in the 24th minute Calum Ferguson won possession before firing a low effort wide of the post.

Queen’s Park came the closest to scoring the following minute when Blair Spittal played a one two with a team mate before shooting wide of the far post from inside the box.

Montrose had a good opportunity to score two minutes later, Deasley’s corner was gathered in by Campbell and he in turn found Ferguson inside the six yard area but the youngster’s shot was deflected wide for a corner which was wasted by Reid.

A dangerous free kick from Spittal was cleared by the home defence.

Montrose tried to catch out the visitors with a short corner that Crawford played to Bryan Deasley but his shot to the near post was held by Lucas Birnstingl.

Ferguson gave away a needless foul when he chased back to cover full back Bernard Coll. Spittal again took the set piece but Ferguson was on hand to knock away the free kick.

The Gable Endies came so close to opening the scoring in first half stoppage time. Masson won the ball on the edge of the Queen’s Park box and he fed Bryan Deasley’s whose left footed shot took a deflection off a visiting player before smacking off the post and bouncing clear.

Half time: Montrose 0, Queen’s Park 0.

Queen’s Park had the ball in the net early in the second half but the flag was already up for offside against Tony Quinn.

Montrose were finding it difficult to play against the wind but Scott Johnston won a corner off Brough in the 56th minute. Deasley swung over a delightful ball, which Garry Wood reached but he could only flash his header across goal. The ball fell to Reid who this time won a corner off Coll. Reid’s corner came back to him but the youngster could only drive the ball high and wide.

Queen’s Park though that they had opened the scoring on the hour mark when Lee Davison had netted at close range but the flag was already up to stop the celebrations.

The visitors were made to pay for that by Montrose 60 seconds later when they grabbed the opening goal. It was Deasley who did the damage with a great run from midfield he was fouled but referee Taylor allowed play to continue and it fell to Paul WATSON some thirty yards out and he drilled a low shot into the bottom corner, with Birnstingl well beaten, for his fifth goal of the season.

Two minutes later, David Anderson of the visitors was yellow carded for a foul on Terry Masson. Watson stepped up to take the free kick and he was denied a second goal by a great save by Birnstingl. Reid’s corner was punched away by the Queen’s keeper. Deasley lobbed the ball back in but only as far as Birnstingl who held onto the ball.

Montrose made their first change of the afternoon with Ross McCord coming on to replace Jamie Reid.

In the 70th minute Montrose were almost caught out by a lighting break from Queen’s Park. Blair Spittal looked set to score with a shot but Crawford did brilliantly to block and when the ball came back to the same player Alan Campbell was on hand to clear the ball off the line.

Queen’s Park then made a switch seconds later with Joao Periera Victora replacing Sean Burns.

Three minutes later the dangerous Spittal got in a low effort which Campbell again blocked.

Montrose made another change with David Gray replacing Calum Ferguson.

Deasley then sent over a free kick for Montrose but Garry Wood could only head flick the ball wide of goal.

Montrose again lived dangerously when Alan Campbell was this time forced to head a shot from substitute Victoria over the bar after the ball was deflected up due to a deflection.

Two minutes later, Queen’s Park made another switch with Liam Gormley replacing Davison.

Montrose were living dangerously and Deasley gave away a free kick with a late tackle on Baty. Spittal took the wind assisted kick but Brough headed straight into the arms of McKenzie.

Paul Watson was then booked for a foul on Baty with four minutes left, giving Queen’s a free kick some thirty yards out, centrally. It was again Spittal who took the kick but McKenzie had got his position right and gratefully grabbed onto the free kick.

As the game headed towards the end there was uproar when the impressive Alan Campbell was forced off the pitch to change his shirt due to blood but then wasn’t allowed back on. When he finally was he was immediately forced back off to change his shorts. This didn’t go down well with the home support.

Queen’s Park made one final change when Michael Keenan replaced Spittal.

In the first minute of stoppage time Deasley got in an effort on goal but shot straight at Birnstingl before referee Mike Taylor finally blew his whistle.

MONTROSE: McKenzie, Crawford, McIntosh, Campbell, Wood, Masson, Reid (McCord), Watson, S. Johnston, Deasley, Ferguson (Gray) Subs (not used): Wilson, Duguid, Sturrock, Webster and McCafferty.