Five-goal cracker


MONTROSE Roselea and Brechin Vics faced up to each other on Saturday in a top of the North Division table clash.

Both teams had players missing due to the wedding of Graeme Allan. Chris Milne and Craig Anderson of Roselea and Sean Whitworth and Ally Duff of Vics were attending, although Anderson was on a three-match suspension. Roselea also had injury worries with Michael Cruickshank and Danny Ross both requiring fitness tests. Ewan Graham made a surprise return for the home side.

The Roselea ground staff had Broomfield Park looking immaculate. The 1pm kick avoided a clash with the Scotland v Serbia match.

Roselea kicked off with the wind behind, and quickly put Vics under pressure.

The visitors had their first foray into the Roselea half when Barker ran at the home defence. However, with Myles available wide he elected to shoot and scooped over.

Roselea were on top and WATSON received a ball to his feet and cleverly turned and shot low through the legs of the defender.

The home side’s continual pressure paid off when COLLIER bravely dived and headed an Urquhart cross into the net from close range in 38 minutes.

Right on half-time Ryan Taylor went on a great run from the half-way line, passing Gauld before slipping the ball to WATSON who had his first shot blocked by Robbie before stabbing home with a quick reaction.

Half-time: Montrose Roselea 3, Brechin Vics 0.

Facing the wind Roselea resumed where they left off with Laing having to get in a timely tackle to prevent Collier shooting.

In 49 minutes Watson had a chance to get his third and put the points beyond doubt after Urquhart squared, but it was not an easy chance and he put the ball past the post.

WATSON got the hat-trick he was hunting in the 58th minute from the penalty spot. Cairney was unlucky to handle in the box but it was a clear penalty and Watson sent a low shot past Robbie who made a valiant effort.

Roselea made a double substitution in 70 minutes with Calum Watson and Robert Urquhart being replaced by Stewart Fletcher and Scott Riach.

Roselea had an enforced change in 73 minutes when Ryan Taylor was injured as he fell to the ground and had to be stretchered off. Veteran co-manager Doug Craig replaced him.

Roselea made it five in 80 minutes. Fletcher, who had looked lively since he came on played a clever ball to Collier with the outside of his foot and Collier’s crossed was turned in at close range by RIACH.

As time was running down Urquhart had a volley just wide of the upright and Collier also had a shot hit the side netting as Roselea dominated, with McLeod a virtual spectator at the other end.

Roselea: Mcleod, P. Taylor, R. Taylor, Whyte, Reoch, Graham, Urquhart, Rae, Cruickshank, Watson, Collier. Subs: Riach, Brand, Craig, Ross and Fletcher.

Referee- Steven Traynor

After a promising start Vics petered out, with Roselea winning all the loose balls. Once the first goal went in it was one-way traffic and for long periods Ross Mcleod was not involved in the ‘Lea goal.

The win takes Roselea to the top of the table and the only negative was the injury to Ryan Taylor which might mean the defender is out of action for some time.

On Saturday Roselea travel to play Lochee Harp at Dundee with a 2.30pm kick-off, then entertain Arniston Rangers at home in the East of Scotland Cup before another home League match against Coupar Angus on the 29th.