Five star show on St Valentine’s Day by Merpro

Craig Allan's opening goal set Merpro on their way to an emphatic cup victory.
Craig Allan's opening goal set Merpro on their way to an emphatic cup victory.

Merpro moved into the North of Tay Cup quarter-finals, after an impressive victory over their Perth opponents on Saturday.

Methven are currently sitting equal top of the Perthshire Division 1 and a tough match was anticipated.

Merpro immediately got into their stride and started at a high tempo.

Craig Allan set up the first opportunity, sliding in a low pass for Rausch to cut inside his marker and curl a left-footed effort off the bar in 8 minutes.

Methven managed a couple of corners and Greig did well to clear a header off the line in 14 minutes.

Merpro quickly regained their rhythm and should have gone ahead, after good wing play by Rausch set up Greig in front of goal but his effort from close-range went over the bar in 18 minutes.

A few minutes later, Graham was bundled over on the edge of the box, with Rausch’s subsequent well-hit free-kick saved well.

Merpro were now in full flow and soon came close again in 25 minutes.

Bruce slid a pass for Graham to curl a 16-yard effort at goal, which was again well-saved by the ‘keeper and Paton’s follow-up header went just wide from close-range.

Graham burst into the box and was then up-ended but amidst penalty claims, play was waved on in 30 minutes.

Somehow the visiting side were hanging on, but the floodgates were about to be clinically opened.

The Motown side were wearing down their opponents, and went ahead after some fine play from Rausch, on the right flank, set up Craig Allan in the box. He deftly danced past a couple of tackles to slide a low shot into the corner of the net in 32 minutes.

Merpro went further ahead, after good midfield pressing play from Greig and Paton, allowed Scott Graham to collect in a crowded box and slide another low driven effort under the despairing ‘keeper on 35 minutes. A quick-fire double to make it 2-0.

Merpro were now running rampant and went further ahead with a quick breakaway goal. Graham collected a defensive clearance in midfield, dummied his marker, to pass for Bruce to break at pace to set up Lee Paton.

Paton managed to get to ball just before the out-rushing ‘keeper to round him and slide a low shot from a wide angle into the net, to make it 3-0 in 38 minutes.

Methven were reeling and soon went further behind as Greig was brought down on the edge of the box.

John ‘Pirlo’ Murdoch composed himself to glide a perfect 20-yard effort over the wall into the top of the net amidst gleeful scenes to make it 4-0 in 42 minutes. A stunning 4 goal blitz in an 10-minute period.

Half-time: Merpro 4, Methven 1.

A mesmerising passing first half performance from the Montrose side. Into the second half and Methven attempted to raise their game, but it was Merpro who continued to create.

Allan combined with Rausch to get in behind the defence but he fired a curling effort wide, in 54 minutes.

Methven then had their best spell of the match, creating some pressure with Toher breaking to fire over the bar in 55 minutes. A few minutes later, Greig did well to block a goal-bound shot and send the ball wide.

Merpro hit back, when Rausch slid a perfect pass for Ferries to get behind the defence, but his cross-come-shot glanced off the bar in 57 minutes.

The alert visiting ‘keeper did well to come out quickly, to prevent Christie from scoring after he latched onto a Paton header in 62 minutes.

A few minutes later, a Rausch driven corner came back off the near post, with Bruce’s goal-bound follow-up effort blocked to safety.

The Methven ‘keeper McDougall, again rescued his team after some good interlinking play allowed Whyte to burst into the box to blast a shot at goal, excellently saved in 70 minutes.

Merpro went further ahead after Rausch was brought down on the left edge of the box. Craig Christie sized up the wall and quickly hit a perfect low, curled 18-yard effort in at the near post, to make it 5-0 in 82 minutes.

Methven managed to gain a consolation goal a few minutes later, after a long ball into the box fell for their striker, who fired a low snap-shot into the net, to finish the

The excellent female match official soon called proceedings to a halt, as Merpro celebrated an impressive victory to move into the last eight of the competition.

Full-time: Merpro 5, Methven 1.

Team : Lownie, Murdoch( Whyte), Ferries( J.Robertson), C.Allan, N.Duff, G.Allan, Rausch, Bruce(E.Duff), Graham(Christie),Greig, Paton(Milne)