FOOTBALL: Deadly Deasley at double for Montrose

editorial image



Montrose Football Club grabbed their first home victory since late February when they came from behind to defeat Peterhead at Links Park on Saturday.

Once again, it was Bryan Deasley who was the Links Park match winner, as he scored two goals to take this Montrose tally to five in only three games since his arrival on loan from Forfar Athletic in late August.

The victory also stretched the Montrose unbeaten run to four matches and took them to within four points of top of the table East Stirlingshire with six games of the season having been played.

After the 3–3 draw with Elgin City, manager Stuart Garden made two changes to his line up - Alan Campbell was ruled out through injury and into the side came Colin Wilson, while Terry Masson took the place of Ross McCord in the middle of the park.

Montrose lined up with McKenzie in goal, McNally and McIntosh in the full back position with Wilson partnering Rodger in central defence for the first time. Gray was on the right of midfield with Young on the left. Masson and Watson were in the centre with Wood and Deasley upfront.

Webster, McCord, Johnston, Bonar, Bell, Sturrock and goalkeeper Easton were on the Montrose bench.

It took until the fifth minute for either side to create any chances, when McAllister won a corner for Peterhead off Colin Wilson. Cox took the kick which was cleared up field by Masson and set up a Montrose counter attack. Deasley found himself clear on the left but his crossfield pass was cut out before it could reach the unmarked Young.

Peterhead should have opened the scoring in the 12th minute, when McKenzie miskicked his clearance straight into the path of Cox, which left the Peterhead player with a clear run at goal with only McKenzie to beat, he squared the ball into path of McAllister who netted. Assistant referee David Doig immediately put his flag up to rule the goal out for offside.

RORY McALLISTER didn’t have to wait long to open the scoring, as he did so two minutes later. Taking advantage of hesitancy by Montrose’s Colin Wilson, he flicked the ball over the head of the Montrose defender before knocking the ball past McKenzie from the edge of the area.

On the half hour mark, Montrose got themselves right back into the match with the equalising goal. McKenzie sent a clearance up the park, Garry Wood headed the ball on and BRYAN DEASLEY found himself through on goal and calmly lobbed the ball over the head of goalkeeper Graeme Smith and into the net for his fourth goal of the season.

With five minutes of the first half remaining, Terry Masson was fouled on the touchline by O’Neil. Watson curled in a free kick to the danger area but Colin Wilson could only head into the arms of Smith from close range.

Montrose should have taken the lead for the first time in the opening minute of the second half. Deasley somehow managed to keep the ball in play on the byeline and his cross found inrushing captain Garry Wood who from some four yards out managed to blast the ball over the crossbar with the goal at his mercy.

In the 54th minute, Montrose won another free kick when Wood was pushed from behind. Watson’s free kick found Wilson whose header was well blocked at point blank range by keeper Smith.

David Cox then sent over another corner kick, which fell to Stephen O’Neil at the edge of the box but he widely shot well over the crossbar.

With 63 minutes, Montrose got a free kick on the edge of the area when Wood was once again pushed from behind by Scott Ross who was booked by referee Cook. David Gray took the free kick but Smith dived to his right too make a good save.

Sixty seconds later, Montrose won another free kick in an identical position when Graeme Sharp clattered into Masson. Sharp became the third booking of the afternoon for the challenge. Gray again took the free kick, he got some height on the ball this time only for the ball to go inches past the post with Smith beaten.

With 10 minutes remaining, Montrose took the lead, Terry Masson sent a great diagonal ball across the ball, which found BRYAN DEASLEY who outpaced his marker before knocking the ball past Smith and into the net for his fifth goal in only three matches for Montrose.

Peterhead were going in search of the equaliser and made their final throw of the dice with seven minutes remaining bringing on Bryan Gilfillan who has been a previous thorn in the side of Montrose for Graeme Sharp.

In the third minute of stoppage time, Peterhead almost grabbed an equaliser - Andy Rodgers found himself through on goal but Stuart McKenzie was brave and the keeper dived at his feet to block a certain goal and keep all three points at Links Park.

Montrose – McKenzie, McNally, McIntosh, Wilson (Bonar), Rodger, Masson, Gray (Johnston), Watson, G. Wood, Deasley, Young. Subs, not used – Webster, McCord, Bell, Sturrock, Easton