Fourth win on the spin for impressive Merpro

editorial image
Have your say

Merpro moved comfortably into the third round of the North of Tay Cup on Saturday.

All Amateur sides in Tayside are eligible to enter the NOT and Merpro were drawn against the current leaders of the Dundee Saturday Morning First Division.

Although Merpro quickly gained control, it was the home side who created the first clear opening. A long throw into the box was only partially cleared and GK Lownie had to make 
a good save.

The Merpro good play continued, with Duff firing in a low cross for Christie to poke an effort at goal, saved well in 18 minutes.

Merpro were dominating and finally went ahead when Craig Allan collected a corner kick clearance, danced past a couple of tackles and curled a left-foot shot into the net, after 
24 minutes.

Merpro doubled their advantage two minutes later, when Campbell Bruce pounced on a pass, composed himself and fired in a low 22-yard shot 
under the ‘keeper.

Merpro should have gone further ahead in the 37th minute, when a rampaging run from Aaron Stephen ended with him being up-ended in the box by Cochrane and a penalty was duly awarded. Christie stepped up but blasted the ball high into orbit, eventually landing in Ninewells Hospital pleading for treatment in A & E!

Half time: Kelly’s Gunners 0, Merpro 2.

A few minutes after the break, Christie collected in midfield and fired in a low shot which was saved by the keeper’s knees.

The Motown side created another good opening in 55 minutes. A cleverly-worked Christie free kick fell for Duff but his effort was well saved with a Murdoch follow-up rebounding back off the bar to safety.

Kelly’s were becoming increasingly frustrated but were almost gifted a goal when Lownie palmed a corner onto his own bar but a goal line clearance kept the clean sheet 
in 65 minutes.

Merpro punished the home side a few minutes later when Christie broke forward from the half way line to set up the supporting Aaron Stephen to fire in a low shot to 
make it 3-0.

Merpro continued to push forward and went further ahead in 75 minutes. Graham collected a clearance and rounded the keeper. Although forced wide, he managed to drive in a pass for Craig Christie to slide in and make it 4-0.

Merpro had another penalty awarded in 78 minutes when Graham was brought down in the box. After dusting himself down, he promptly emulated his strike partner by lifting his shot high over the bar. There was further mirth later when the ball fell to Murdoch, who somehow managed to slice his effort into the clouds from all of two yards out.

Overall, a convincing fourth consecutive victory for the Montrose side, maintaining their good form.

Merpro: Lownie (Glennie), Murdoch (J. Riach), Whyte, C. Allan (Houghton), Pert, N. Duff, Rausch (Greig), Bruce, Christie, Stephen, E. Duff (Graham).