Gable Endies need to begin taking their chances

POOR refereeing and bad misses were the order of the day as Montrose went down to their second 1–0 away defeat of the season at Broadwood Stadium on Saturday.

Montrose, like their fixture at East Stirlingshire, created more than enough good chances to take at least a point but wasted the opportunities before being hit with a sucker punch goal from Clyde that appeared to be offside.

The Gable Endies played well enough but must be more ruthless in front of goal like they were in the home fixture against Elgin City. They must look to get back to winning ways when Stranraer come to visit on Saturday.

Despite club captain Stephen McNally and Jonathan Smart being free from suspension, manager Ray Farningham chose to field an unchanged line from the side that had comprehensively beaten Elgin City.

This meant Montrose lined up with Andrews in goal and a back four of Lunan, Crighton, Campbell and Cameron. The midfield three was Winter in the centre supported by Masson and Crawford. Up front Montrose went with two goal Martin Boyle, Scott Johnston and David McGowan.

McNally and Smart were on the bench alongside Dimilta, McPhee and goalkeeper Sandy Wood.

In the opening 60 seconds the visitors won a free kick on the touchline after Martin Boyle was fouled. Winter took the kick, ‘keeper Mentel punched the ball clear and then managed to gather before Alan Campbell could get his head to the ball.

In the third minute Clyde’s Cusack won a corner kick off Cameron. Sweeney swung over the kick but Brian McQueen headed well over.

The Gable Endies had a great chance to open the scoring in the seventh minute when a hooked clearance from defence by Jamie Winter sent Martin Boyle scampering clear of his marker but as he got in his shot he clashed with keeper Mentel and the Clyde number one blocked his shot. The ‘keeper was injured making the challenge but he was able to continue after two minutes treatment.

Montrose then forced a corner kick through McGowan but Winter’s near post kick was easily cleared by the home defence.

With 15 minutes gone Crighton lobbed the ball out of defence to David McGowan who turned and from 25 yards out he sent his shot over the crossbar.

In the 27th minute a run along the touchline from David McGowan won Montrose another corner kick. Winter played the corner to McGowan before taking the return pass and firing in an effort from 18 yards which Mentel saved.

The Links Park men worked another good opening in the 31st minute. Winter played a pass wide to Boyle who in turn found Johnston. The Montrose striker then played a pass back to Boyle and he cut the ball back to Winter who fired in an effort bound for the bottom corner before Mentel got down to save.

The following minute the Gable Endies had another good opportunity to open the scoring, a defence splitting pass from Winter put Martin Boyle through with only the keeper to beat. He raced through but instead of lobbing the ‘keeper he decided to take another touch and Mentel pulled off a great save.

Clyde then forced a couple of corners taken by John Sweeney but on both occasions the visitors’ defence cleared the danger.

Referee Kevin Clancy then started his afternoon of strange decisions. After warning Paul Lunan for a solid but fair headed challenge he then booked the Montrose right-back for a tackle on Lee Sharp when it was quite clear that the left-back had fallen over the ball during the tackle.

In the following minute he then booked Clyde’s John Sweeney for a midfield challenge on Terry Masson. The most annoying part for the visitors was that he pulled back play for the free kick when Montrose had a break on.

Montrose created a chance early in the second half when McGowan was fouled on the edge of the area. Jamie Winter stepped up to take the free kick but his attempt went straight into the keepers arms.

Clyde opened the scoring with a disputed goal in the 50th minute. A Terry Mason clearance was blocked by Bully wee full-back Gavin Brown. The ball found its way to Liam Cusack standing on the touchline, ahead of his marker Cameron. Play was allowed to continue and his cross was swept home by STEPHEN McDONALD from inside the six yard area.

Montrose were outraged by the decision and Douglas Cameron was booked for his protests to the stand side assistant Michael Taylor. It seemed as though Cusack was off by yards but the assistant could have only kept his flag down if he thought another player had played him on, maybe Lunan on the far side.

Montrose made their first change of the afternoon on the hour mark when they brought on Stephen McNally for Jonathan Crawford.

The visitors almost snatched an equaliser in the 68th minute when Paul Lunan let fly with a first time volley from the edge of the area the shot appeared to be heading for the top corner before it hit off a Clyde head and went behind.

Montrose made a double substitution in the 75th minute with Steven McPhee and David Dimilta coming on to replace Jamie Winter and Scott Johnston. McPhee and Dimilta went onto to play in wide positions with Boyle pushed up through the middle.

Three minutes later the Gable Endies missed another great opportunity to equalise. McPhee played a great pass up the left to Cameron he passed his man in the box and clipped a cross to the far post where Martin Boyle rose up only to head over the crossbar from close range.

Sixty seconds later Clyde substitute Archdeacon was booked for stopping Montrose getting the ball as referee Clancy started to get fussy.

With five minutes left Paul Lunan was made to pay for his earlier incorrect yellow card when he was shown a second yellow followed by a red for a trip on Ryan Kane. He became the fourth Montrose man to be sent packing in only the fifth match of the season.

The homesters made another change in the following minute taking off goalscorer Stephen McDonald and replacing him with Michael Oliver.

In the final minute of the match Montrose should have had a penalty kick Cameron played in ex-Clyde player David McGowan up the left channel. He beat his man raced into the box and cut the ball back only for defender Lee Sharp to quite clearly handle the ball to stop it reaching Martin Boyle at the far post. Everyone in the ground saw it but surprisingly enough referee Clancy didn’t and waved play on.

Montrose kept going and a run from Dimilta up the right saw him fouled this time by Ryan Kane who was booked.

Frustrations were getting the better of the visiting team and Sean Crighton became the next player in the referee’s book for a late tackle on Kane.

Three minutes into stoppage time Clyde made their final time wasting substitution when the furthest away player Kane was replaced by Jack Sloss as they held on for a lucky and narrow victory.

Montrose: Andrews, Lunan, Cameron, Campbell, Crighton, Masson, Johnston (McPhee), Crawford (McNally), Boyle, Winter (Dimilta), McGowan Substitutes: Smart and Wood.