Game on - when all around were off

Montrose Roselea 1 Jeanfield Swifts 1

There was near disbelief when this Scottish Junior Cup tie went ahead while almost every other game in the country was off due to snow and frost.

Roselea had the first chance when Watson broke on the right and his cross found the side netting.

Jeanfield had a great chance in five minutes with Roselea claiming for a foul on Ryan Taylor. The ball broke to Holden and his shot was saved by the feet of Mcleod.

Roselea got back in the action when Cruickshank crossed. Although Watson won his header he was adjudged to have pushed Whitehead in the box.

A Cruickshank shot from the edge of the box was deflected just behind for a corner. Cruickshank took the corner and a great run and flick from Urquhart saw the ball head to the far post but there was no Roselea poacher on hand.

Roselea had to make an enforced change in 37 minutes when Paul Taylor fell awkwardly. Graeme Allan slotted in at right back.

There was a spate of bookings as half time approached. Whyte and Gordon were booked after a skirmish and from the resulting free kick Holt blasted into the wall. The ball broke to the other end and Cruickshank committed Gunnion to a tackle which also ended in yellow.

Half-time: Roselea 0, Jeanfield 0.

Roselea had a great chance in 47 minutes when Deans cleared only as far as Cruickshank whose well struck shot was held by Bruce.

In 53 minutes Craig Anderson cut in from the left leaving two men in his trail and shot, screwing the ball wide when Watson was well placed in the middle.

There was controversy a minute later. In the Jeanfield box Bruce and Anderson failed to clear a corner. The ball was hit off Collier’s back and seemed to hit the back of the stanchion before bouncing back into the ‘keeper’s hands. Roselea’s celebrations were cut short as neither referee nor assistant spotted this and Bruce played on.

Holt had a low shot which went agonisingly wide. The referee awarded a corner when Mcleod didn’t seem to get a touch on it. In 72 minutes the resolute Roselea defence once again blocked a certain goal with Ryan Taylor the hero as the ball struck his back.

Reid replaced Cruickshank in 75 minutes as Roselea went a bit more attacking in a bid to win the tie.

Jeanfield were awarded a penalty in 78 minutes and it seemed a harsh decision. With both Holt and Reoch in mid air the Roselea defender was adjudged to have pushed his opponent. After Reoch received a booking for dissent HOLT stepped up and took a perfect penalty, giving Mcleod no chance.

As play resumed the Roselea manager was dismissed for comments to the assistant referee.

Roselea deserved an equaliser and that came in 85 minutes. Reid flicked the ball on and WATSON held off the Jeanfield defender before slotting a low shot into the net despite the efforts of Whitehead. Broomfield Park erupted as the Scottish Cup trail stayed alive.

Roselea: Mcleod, P. Taylor, R. Taylor, Reoch, Whyte, Urquhart, Collier, Anderson, Ross, Cruickshank, Watson. Substitutes: Allan, Brand, Riach, Craig and Reid.

The sides will play again this Saturday for the right to progress to the fifth round. The match will be decided on penalty kicks if the sides are all square at the end of the 90 minutes. Kick Off is 1.45pm with the Roselea bus expected to leave at 11 a.m.. Please contact Roy Gill on 07908 763219, cost £10.

Match Sponsors MGFA, Anne Reoch and friends and Stirfresh nominated Danny Ross as Man of the Match and Danny Powell presented his award.