Gary Fraser is on target in Thistle defeat

Pic credit: Kevin Part.
Pic credit: Kevin Part.

A number of trialists turned out for Montrose in their final game of pre-season, a 3-1 defeat away to Buckie Thistle.

It was Montrose who had the better of early possession, kicking with the wind, with Graham Webster taking possession on the left before his shot was deflected straight to Andy Burr the Buckie keeper.

Gary Fraser then hit a goal bound cross which flew high and wide in the strong wind. Montrose won a free kick some 25 yards out and, wind assisted, it was in Paul Watson’s range but flew straight at keeper Burr.

Still only five minutes had gone when McCord tried his luck only to see his effort hit the bar and over the top for a corner following a deflection.

There was plenty of Montrose pressure but nothing to show for it and they were soon to regret it as Buckie scored with their first real attack in the eighth minute through Jay Cheyne.

The ball came over from the right as McCartney was left floundering for pace and the Montrose defence failed to deal with the cross.

Cheyne struck the 
ball well but McGovern in goal will be unhappy he let it slip through his hands and high into the net.

Ryan Ferguson and Ross McCord both put balls into the box but the chances went begging and again, the visitors were soon punished.

The Montrose defence alarmingly failed to clear a routine ball and it was slotted home from close range by Chris Angus to give Buckie a comfortable 2-0 half time lead.

New signing Jordan Millar came on in goals after the break and he looked very assured.

And the Gable Endies were back in the game after a period of sustained 
pressure when new striker Gary Fraser got on the scoresheet.

A clearance from keeper Millar found its way out wide to Ferguson who switched play inside to find Gary Fraser on the edge of the 18 yard box.

He swivelled and hit a beauty of a curler into the top left hand corner with keeper Burr beaten all ends up.

The goal was no less than Montrose deserved.

Very near the end Buckie scored a third goal to put a gloss on the scoreline from their point of view.

A harmless looking free kick was met unchallenged by centre back Darren Wood who easily guided his header wide of the Montrose keeper Millar who could do little to stop it going in.