Golf Inn reach League Cup final

On A wet Sunday morning the Golf Inn welcomed MCT to Broomfield Park in an eagerly-awaited League Cup semi-final.

After suffering defeat for the first time the previous week it was important for the Golf Inn to get back to winning ways quickly, and they had the advantage of only playing versus 10 men for the majority of the first half, that was until substitute Jamie Young was put on the pitch by the visitors’ management.

Josh Clarke was taken to hospital in the first minute.

The firey midfielder fouled the MCT player but in the challenge he landed awkwardly on his shoulder, and left the field with a suspected dislocation.

The match remained quite even for the first 20 minutes even though MCT were playing with a man fewer.

Golf Inn did break the deadlock though.

A stramash in the box fell to Martin Coull whose shot hit the post, went across the goal line and REID was at the back post to tap in the opener.

It took to the 35th minute until the Golf Inn got their second.

Page passed to Jardine who slipped in MADDOCK and the striker fired into the bottom corner from 16 yards with a good finish.

MCT nearly broke back not long after.

McPherson was played through and rounded Elgin. His shot was goal-bound but Lamb was there to clear the ball for a corner.

From the corner, the ball broke to a MCT player whose shot was saved by the legs of Elgin. It looked as if the MCT player would tap in the rebound but somehow Elgin managed to react the quicker and kick the ball out of the box.

It was a fairly even first half, with the Golf Inn having the better of the chances and taking advantage to lead by two.

Half-time: Golf Inn 2, MCT 0.

With both teams playing with 11 for the full second half the Golf Inn knew they would be in more of a fight than the first, but they continued to control more of the play in the early stages of the second half.

It took until the 60th minute for the first goal of the second 45 minutes.

A corner was whooped into the back post. The ball broke to Gray and he cut it back to Greg SOUTAR whose tame effort from 20 yards somehow went through the legs of stand-in keeper Darren McLean and into the net.

MCT started to show more as the half went on, but it took until the 75th minute until they pulled one back.

A long throw from Burnett was flicked on by Welsh. Elgin pushed the header on to the bar but McPHERSON was quickest to the rebound and headed home.

In the last 15 minutes, Elgin was never really tested in the Golf Inn goals.

Indeed, the Golf Inn had two goals chopped off, Gray judged to be offside on both occasions.

In the dying moments Lownie came close with a free header but it was just off target.

Man of the match: Gavin Reid.

Golf Inn: Elgin, G. Soutar, Page, Coull, Smith (Young 30), Lamb, M. Coull, Clarke (Gray 1), Jardine, Maddock and Reid.

Northern Vaults 3

Golf Inn 1

The Golf Inn travelled to Balwylo to face the Northern Vaults who had started the season poorer than was expected.

After a heavy downpour the surface was as expected very heavy.

It was the home side that hit the ground running, and after 25 minutes they led 2-0, YOUNG scoring from 25 yards, the bounce evading Elgin and going over the ‘keeper’s grasp, with MCLAREN scoring the second.

The Golf Inn pulled one back before half-time. Duncan Croall turned the defender and smashed the ball in off the far corner’s post from 12 yards.

The Vaults extended their lead before half-time. BRAND was left unmarked at the back post and he tapped in the easiest goal of his life from two yards.

Half-time: Northern Vaults 3, Golf Inn 1.

The Golf Inn controlled the second half, and although the play was almost entirely in the Vaults’ half of the pitch for the length of the second half, the Golf Inn rarely threatened Robertson in goals.

Golf Inn: Elgin, Gray, Page (Maddock 45), K. Coull, Lamb, Barker, M. Coull, Clarke, Reid, Millar and Croall (Craig 70). Substitute: G. Soutar.