Golf Inn stage comeback win nail-biting final at Links Park

Golf Inn 5

Hudsons 4

The new league champions, Golf Inn, took on the deposed champions, Hudsons, in the Matrix Cup final at Links Park on Sunday.

The new champions came out on top despite a courageous late comeback from the Brechin side.

Hudsons started strongly and it was against the run of play when Mustard slipped in Jharone GIBBON to hold off the defender and fire home.

The response was immediate from Hudsons and they equalised when a free kick from the left wing was turned home at the back post. Within minutes they were in front when corner wasn’t properly cleared and eventually it was lashed into the net.

With the memory of two cup final defeats stirring them on, the Golfie proceeded to take control and Calder in the Hudsons’ goal produced two fantastic saves to keep them in front.

There was nothing he could do about the equaliser when Reid cut in from the right and fired a shot off the bar which fell to GIBBON to equalise.

Golf Inn 2, Hudsons 2.

The second half started as the first ended with the Montrose side on top and they took the lead again when a Barker corner was headed home by Gavin REID.

A fourth followed soon after when Gibbon released Sean MUSTARD who finished past Calder. It was five when substitute Jack RODGER broke through to give the Golfie a comfortable lead.

With the clock ticking down Hudsons stunned their opponents with two late goals to ensure a very tense three minutes of injury time.

The final whistle brought joy and relief for the Golf Inn as they secured their first victory in a cup competition this season, following their defeats in both the League and Piggins cup finals.

They will now be hoping to complete the treble with a first ever victory in the Review Cup in which they entertain Fettercairn in the semi-final on Thursday.

Galaxy seal second

Hudsons 1

Fordoun Galaxy 4

Fordoun have endured their worst run of the season in recent weeks which has seen them dumped out of two cup competitions and play host to Golf Inn as the visitors sealed the league title.

They were behind again in this their penultimate league fixture when an attacker beat Marc Milne from 18 yards. Both teams pushed and probed but neither could find the second goal.

That was until Richard Keddie was flattened in the box and his son, Nathan KEDDIE stepped up to bury the spot kick.

Half-time: Hudsons 1, 
Fordoun Galaxy 1.

Fordoun took the lead for the first time with 10 minutes to play when Ross Stirling played in Dean McCOMISKIE who finished well.

Hudsons pushed players forward in search of an equaliser and won a corner but were hit by a classic counter-attack. The corner was headed clear, Lloyd Davies rolled it to Craig Thomson who played a delightful diagonal ball to Dean McComiskie. The striker beat his man and crossed for Derry SIMPSON who calmly rounded the ‘keeper and scored.

With the clock running down Andrew Stirling looked to be cornered, only to dig deep into his bag of tricks to loft a ball forward for Nathan KEDDIE who brought it down in the box and slammed it home.

The result meant Fordoun needed only a point from their final league fixture to secure a second place finish. When Bervie failed to raise a team for the sixth time in the league this season Fordoun were awarded the three points, and added a highest ever league placing to the two cups won earlier in the season.

Fordoun Galaxy: Milne, A. Stirling, Cuthill, Cargill (Davies), Thomson, Deans, D. Cruickshank, R. Keddie (R. Stirling), N. Keddie, Murray (Simpson) and McComiskie.

Epic Review Cup semi


Hudsons 2

MCT entertained last season’s league champs Hudsons in the Review Cup at Broomfield, and took the lead in seven minutes.

A fine pass from Morris put top scorer CANDY through and in one movement he controlled the ball and volleyed it over the ‘keeper for a lovely finish.

Candy went close with another first-time shot three minutes later and in 20 minutes fired a long-range effort wide as the striker continued to terrorise the visitors’ defence.

Stridgeon headed wide from a tight angle from a Candy cross and a minute later Andrew Williams rattled the bar with a header from a Morris cross.

On the half-hour Darren Mclean had a good drive from 12 yards deflected over the bar, then Stridgeon went close with a good shot on the turn as the home continued to rampage all over the visitors’ defence.

Darren Mclean’s shot was touched on to the post by the ‘keeper as MCT went close again. The same player had another shot saved just before half time. Mct didn’t give the visitors a sniff at goal in the first half and should have had the game out of site.

MCT 1, Hudsons 0.

Hudsons started the second half on the front foot and had a couple of shots in the opening minutes ,one of them producing a fine save from Laidlaw.

MCT doubled their lead in 53 minutes after a long throw from Burnett was flicked on by a defender and Chris PETRIE was poaching at the back post and volleyed an unstoppable shot high into the net.

With only seven minutes to play Hudsons snatched a goal back with a shot from the edge of the box that went through two pairs of legs and past an unsighted Laidlaw.

Two minutes later Hudsons rocked MCT by drawing level with a shot from 12 yards.

A minute later a long throw from Burnett was headed just past from Mclean then seconds later Mcpherson had a shot held by the ‘keeper.

In the 89th minute Hudsons had a shot into the side netting to almost snatch a winner.

In the final minute MCT were awarded a corner and Stridgeon sent in a great ball for Darren McLEAN to rise like a salmon to bullet an unstoppable header into the net.

In injury time, following a Hudsons corner, the ball was cleared to Mcpherson who charged up field and unselfishly put Billy CANDY scampering clear and he produced a great, cool finish past the ‘keeper from close in to finally kill off Hudsons. This was a great cup tie for MCT which sets up a semi final with Hillside.